GPSFileDepot.com

Creating custom maps with custom symbols - MapEdit/cGPSmapper

Started by infoscrounger, June 22, 2011, 01:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infoscrounger

Hi Boyd. No I haven't tried night mode, but that's really not what I want. I need it to work for daytime.

I figure I must be missing a step somewhere so here's EXACTLY what I'm doing.

1. Open TYPWiz. Tweak symbols the way I want. Save .txt file & .typ file of the modified set (with FID set as 34211, PID = 1, Code = 1252).
2. Open MapEdit, load mapskin of the .txt file I just made.
3. In MapEdit, create map the way I usually do with shape files, but assign point shape to the custom symbol I want.
4. Save that map as a .mp (ie. 11536000.mp)
5. Copy that .mp file, then turn that copy into a text file (ie. 11536000.txt)
6. Export map through cGPSmapper to get my .img file.
7. Copy all of these files to my C drive, into a custom garmin folder (so I have my .mp, .txt, and .img of the map, plus the .txt & .typ of the modified .typ file).
8. Open MapToolKit, select the correct path, add the image. Set the FID to 34211 (auto sets PID = 1) and the Code to 1252. Use shortened mapset name (1153600 <- 7 digits not 8, think 8 screws the formatting up)
9. Convert this, MapToolKit spits out the other files.
10. Copy EVERYTHING back into the folder I want to store it in.
11. Use Image2GPS or SendMap to wipe my Garmin then transfer the converted files + the custom .typ file I designed in the first place.

12. Look at Garmin. See custom polylines, but not custom points. Begin cursing and throwing Garmin around the room.

Am I perhaps missing a step? This method works perfectly for the maps I've been building without .typ's... so all I should have to do is upload the .txt as a skin in MapEdit, then upload the .typ file to the Garmin along with the map, no?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your help.

Boyd

I don't use GPSMapedit with custom types. I've found that they often don't look like I expect in that program, and also don't look like they would on the GPS. I don't really see anything wrong with what you're doing, but you seem to be taking some extra steps I don't understand.

Why would you convert the .mp file to a .txt file? cgpsmapper uses .mp files as source. In the end, as far as the gps itself is concerned, all you need is an .img file and a .typ file. If you go to all the trouble of using mapsetoolkit, then you have installed your map into mapsource. In that case, you don't need Sendmap or img2gps. Just select the part of the map that you want and use Mapsource to send it to the GPS.

You missed my point with the question about night mode. It is another way to debug what you're doing. If the symbols work correctly in night but not in day (like the problem I described), then it's probably an issue with the way that the 60csx processes .typ files.

jbensman

Quote from: infoscrounger on June 24, 2011, 10:54:56 AM
Already tried it on the 3 we have here in the office. I'll keep tinkering. Thanks for your help Boyd

Are they all the 60csx?  The problem could be limittions of the 60csx.  I would try it on a more modern GPS (CO, OR, DA, 62, etc)

infoscrounger

jbensman: They're all 60CSx's. Those are the ones we use in the field, so any solution I come up with needs to work for those models specifically.

Boyd: Just tried the night mode, nope, they're not there either.

As for the text file... haha, I don't know. I'm not the guy that did the original research on this topic (and no, he's not available). That's just in the write-up that he gave me.

Two things:
1. What program do you use to compile all your shape files? That's why I use MapEdit. Yes, what appears in MapEdit is different from what I get on the Garmin, but at least it gives me a rough idea of what I'm looking at.

2. When I use MapToolkit to install the map into MapSource I'm unable to transfer it to the Garmin. I switch to the custom mapset, I can see it on my MapSource screen, but then when I go Transfer -> Send to Device... it gives me the error message 'To transfer data to your device, select maps or creat waypoints, routes or tracks." I can see the custom map directly in front of me on the screen here but nothing will transfer to the Garmin. So that's why I'm using SendMap or Image2GPS, since MapSource won't do it.

maps4gps

When using MapSource, did you select some quads/tiles to send?  They will be listed in the window on the left side. 

eaparks

infoscrounger:  I'll be glad to troubleshoot your file if you'd like.  PM me and I'll send you my email address to send the .mp file to if your interested.  Also I would want to take a look at the .bmp and/or .png file for the problem points. 

infoscrounger

Hi maps4gps:

I don't see anything showing up. I've got the 4 tabs: Maps, Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks. I presume the map would be under map... but there's nothing there. It's only on my drop-down menu in the top left corner where I can select the mapset I've designed.

maps4gps

infoscrounger

Quote from: maps4gps on June 30, 2011, 08:26:17 AM
Take a loot at this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Thanks for that link. I followed it step by step, I WAS able to grab the map and send it to the Garmin... but once again, only the polylines transfered, not the points.

Pinter

If Mapedit shows your pois then they are included in the img. You can also use img2typ at http://pinns.co.uk/osm/img2typ.html to check if the poi is listed in the img, no need to go the  mp route.
If it hasn't been listed then the problem lies with the redering of the img
If it is included, more than likely, then its is still possible for your GPS unit NOT to show certain pois, however strange this may sound.
Unfortunately some Garmin handhelds and nuvis ignore certain types ie (0x Number) EVENTHOUGH they show up in Mapsource or BaseCamp. Try fooling it by using types reserved for places & cities , ie 0xD00 etc . Check cgpsmapper manual for default type list

leszekp

Try using MapSet Toolkit to install the maps and TYP file into MapSource/BaseCamp, then upload the maps to your Garmin. SendMap has been hit-and-miss for custom TYP files for me, but the MapSet Toolkit approach had always been successful for me.

infoscrounger

Pinter:

I've uploading my .typ to the viewers before and it does show them. I will, however, try to assign it to a normal point. I'd just been assigning it to the basic point 01 from the .typ but I'll try.

leszekp:

I've tried the MapSource transfer option. I get the same issue as before. The polylines transfer over, but not the points.

Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions :)

maps4gps

I'd just been assigning it to the basic point 01 from the .typ but I'll try.
I am not sure there is such a feature as a 'basic point'.
I see code 01 in the cgpsmapper manual; however, POI's normally use a 4 place hex code, see pages 82-92 of the manual.
Also be aware that the GPSr units have 'overrides' for some feature types; thus they can behave/display differently than expected. 
This is all found out by trial and error as Garmin does not provide information on how they do things.

I suggest trying one or more of the normally used codes, and an unasigned code to see if that helps any.