GPSFileDepot.com

Creating custom maps with custom symbols - MapEdit/cGPSmapper

Started by infoscrounger, June 22, 2011, 01:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infoscrounger

Hello everyone,

I'm currently attempting to upload custom symbols & maps onto my Garmin 60CSx handheld. I use the cGPSmapper software with MapEdit to build the maps themselves, then transfer them with MapToolKit and Image2GPS. I've started playing around with custom TYP files (created using TYP Wiz - http://pinns.co.uk/osm/ostyp.html), and have managed to create the symbols that I want (24-bit 16x16 bitmap file). I've even gotten them to show up in MapEdit (when I select the appropriate map skin) and in MapSource, but when I attempt to upload them to my Garmin nothing shows up. I transfer both the .mp file and the .typ file. I use the same family name and product code, as well as the correct code page as indicated by TYP Wiz. It just seems to be this last step that's killing me here.

If anybody is familiar with this process & software and could lend a hand, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help

Boyd

.mp files cannot be displayed by any GPS. They are the source files that you feed to the cgpsmapper compiler. After you compile the map you will have an .img file. Combine that with your .typ file and send to the GPS. Simplest way to do that is probably to use the free Sendmap20 that is available at cgpsmapper.com.

jbensman

Boyd

If you have correctly installed them in Mapsource, then jbensman is correct, just send the map to your GPS. Correctly installing a .typ file in Mapsource involves a number of steps however.

BTW, thanks for the link to Typ Wiz and those other Garmin utilities. Very cool stuff that I hadn't seen before. :)

infoscrounger

Quote from: Boyd on June 22, 2011, 07:23:16 PM
.mp files cannot be displayed by any GPS. They are the source files that you feed to the cgpsmapper compiler. After you compile the map you will have an .img file. Combine that with your .typ file and send to the GPS. Simplest way to do that is probably to use the free Sendmap20 that is available at cgpsmapper.com.

Sorry, I meant .img file. Just use the .mp to build it all up :) I've been able to get the .typ file to transfer over to the garmin and the custom line types work just fine, however, the custom points do not. Neither the custom symbols I've made, nor the ones that come with TYP Wiz work. I've even incorporated my symbol directly into the .typ file TYP Wiz came with to avoid building my own separate from the rest. The symbols I design show up in mapedit and in MapSource, just not on the garmin itself.

Two points I've considered that might be giving me trouble. First, I'm using old Garmin 60CSx handhelds. Is it possible that these are simply too old to process custom symbols in this way? Second being the software I use to transfer the .img and .typ files, Image2GPS. I believe I have everything all set up correctly, and I must, as I'm getting the custom line types to transfer just fine... it's just these points that are disagreeing with me. Perhaps SendMap can do a better job?

I don't want to use MapSource if it all possible, as I'm trying to make the transfer process as painless as possible (I'm designing maps for other people to upload, other people who aren't the most technical of individuals).

maps4gps

As Boyd suggested, try SendMap.  Be sure to select the .typ file along with with .img files.
The older units have a limited color pallet.  I do not remember how old is old, and it would be highly unlikely that your lines and polygons used valid colors while the points symbolds did not.
Another possibility might be that the allowable size dimensions may not include 16x16 - I have not made any custom point types and what may work as a POI symbol amy not do so as a point feature.

infoscrounger

Quote from: maps4gps on June 23, 2011, 09:42:59 AM
As Boyd suggested, try SendMap.  Be sure to select the .typ file along with with .img files.
The older units have a limited color pallet.  I do not remember how old is old, and it would be highly unlikely that your lines and polygons used valid colors while the points symbolds did not.
Another possibility might be that the allowable size dimensions may not include 16x16 - I have not made any custom point types and what may work as a POI symbol amy not do so as a point feature.

Well, the custom waypoints that the garmins themselves use are 16x16 pixel, 24-bit BMP files. TYP Wiz comes with some custom symbols which it says are specifically designed for this... I'll try Sendmap though, thanks kindly :)

Boyd

I would also try to open that .typ file in the online editor here: http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi. This is a great tool for working with .typ files and completely eliminates the need for cgpsmapper - natively reads and writes the binary files with no compilation necessary.

If the symbols don't look right in the online editor, then I'd say there's a problem with your file. I wouldn't expect the 60csx to be incompatible with a valid .typ file - I have used them a lot on mine. I'm not familiar with the software you use, so I don't know what issues it might have. Is there some kind of forum or e-mail address for support?

I work pretty extensively with custom types in my own maps, so I will be trying out typ wiz myself before long. :)

infoscrounger

Thanks again Boyd, I'll give that online editor a shot. I've also pulled down SendMap so I'll give this a shot.

As for my other software, it's a motley array of AutoCAD, OziExplorer and GPSeismic that produce the shape files & reference map that MapEdit uses to build the .mp and .img files, then MapToolKit to convert the files, then Image2GPS to transfer. No support for what I'm doing for any of the first pieces of software and as for the rest... well.. I think that's you guys :)

infoscrounger

Quote from: Boyd on June 23, 2011, 12:16:34 PM
I would also try to open that .typ file in the online editor here: http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi. This is a great tool for working with .typ files and completely eliminates the need for cgpsmapper - natively reads and writes the binary files with no compilation necessary.

If the symbols don't look right in the online editor, then I'd say there's a problem with your file. I wouldn't expect the 60csx to be incompatible with a valid .typ file - I have used them a lot on mine. I'm not familiar with the software you use, so I don't know what issues it might have. Is there some kind of forum or e-mail address for support?

I work pretty extensively with custom types in my own maps, so I will be trying out typ wiz myself before long. :)

Ahhhhh frustration is setting in now... haha.  I used the online editor, uploaded the .typ file, it loaded up just fine, showing my custom symbols on the website. I uploaded it and the .img file onto the garmin with the SendMap software and once again the custom lines showed up, the custom points did not. That's just not making any sense to me. Why would half of the .typ information work but not the other half?

Help please!

Boyd

Sorry, no idea offhand. Do you have another Garmin GPS you can try this on?

infoscrounger

Already tried it on the 3 we have here in the office. I'll keep tinkering. Thanks for your help Boyd

eaparks

I'll had several things to take a lot at and/or try.  Some of these you may have already done and some may have no affect at all but I've been through some of the same learning curves your mentioning.

16 x 16 is a good size for the 60CSx.  20 x 20 and up to 24 x 24 is a good size for the higher resolution screens like the Oregons.  16 x 16 a little small on Oregons and 24 x 24 is to big on the 60CSx.

Try 8 bit instead of 24 bit for the 60CSx.  Try 199 dpi not 200 or 96, etc.  Layers in a symbol can cause real havoc that sometimes is hard to detect.  If you copy and paste an image from online to make into a symbol you very likely have layering in the image and don't know it.  If you make a color change, especially if changing some pixels to yellow, and you don't see the true bright yellow in your symbol you will definitely have an image with layers in it.

Layering can be a real can of worms to get rid of all the layers if not familiar with it.  The simplest way to get only the top layer with the image you want is to open the symbol in MS Paint, copy and paste the image into a new file in MS Paint and you will only have the single layer of the image.

IrFranView is one of the better simple graphics editing programs that is intuitive, and is free.  Is much easier to use than Adobe's, Gimp, or some of the other full fledged graphics program.

Will try to add more suggestions, if none of this solves the problem.

edit:  I'll feel sure you have checked but thought I'd mention it anyway; your map points are set in your GPS to appear at a fairly zoomed out zoom level aren't they?

infoscrounger

Hi eaparks. I'll try the 8-bit instead of 24, and lower the dpi too. Thanks for suggesting that.

And as for depth, yes, they're set to show up at a zoomed out level. I have them set to the same layers as the lines I'm bringing in. The custom linetypes show up just fine, it's just these points that don't. Let me try the couple things you suggested and see if that does it.

Boyd

I've come across another type-related problem. I am using Garmin Mobile PC on an HP Slate 500 and it works great with my maps, EXCEPT for one major problem. All bitmapped custom types have rendering issues, but IN DAYTIME MODE ONLY! They all work fine in night mode.

I've banged my head against the wall on this for over a week now and have come to the conclusion that it's just a bug in Mobile PC. If I load Garmin's own US Topo 100k, I see the same issue using Garmin's own default types. If you look at wetland areas (0x51), the standard bitmapped symbol is also messed up.

If I use bitmapped line types, some of them work and others don't - with no consistency. I've tried everything I can think of - different type editors plus handwritten code in a text editor, 8 bit colors, all the different transparency and color modes. It just won't render the types right in day mode. However, custom types without bitmaps work just fine in both day and night. I finally just made a new bitmap-free .typ file and that works ok but doesn't give me quite the look I want.

Sorry for the OT rant, but it just goes to show that custom types may not always do what you want. Have you tried looking at your map in night mode on the GPS?