GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Nuvi 5000 startup question

Started by Rex, February 20, 2009, 01:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex

Every time I start this thing I have to go through 5 screens ... is this normal?

I have to set the language, time zone, map, etc.  Can this be saved someplace?
Thanks,

Boyd

That is definitely not normal. Those settings should be retained. Since you said this was a new unit, I suggest that you call or e-mail Garmin tech support.

-Oz-

Yea, I had that issue too for a little while on my wife's 255W.  I'd suggest trying to update the firmware; that helped me.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Rex

I updated the firmware and it does the same thing.  When it starts I have to do the language, USA, time zone, etc. every time.  Everything else seems to work.  I also get the register screen but I have registered it already????

Boyd

I have owned a Nuvi 5000 for over a year and have used every imaginable kind of map on it. Does that make me an expert?  ???

Just contact Garmin tech support. It sounds like you have a hardware problem. This has nothing to do with third party maps, so don't even mention that.

BTW, the Nuvi 5000 is really the ultimate automotive unit for using third party maps. Screen resolution is 800x480, almost three times as many pixels as their other widescreen models. Doesn't help much with garmin's own maps, but you can take advantage of this when making your own. If you define lines and points as 1 pixel wide, you get a really fine level of detail. Contour lines looks great and don't clutter the image.

Also, custom polygon types are rendered much more nicely. The pattern fills are done on a pixel by pixel basis, so having more pixels renders them really nicely.

-Oz-

That is some crazy resolution, blows my nuvi 250w and 255w out of the water :-P
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Quote from: -Oz- on February 21, 2009, 09:00:07 AM
That is some crazy resolution, blows my nuvi 250w and 255w out of the water :-P

Screenshots of my map... note same zoom settings.

Rex

I actually used the unit today for a short trip and must say I was happy with it.  I especially like the FM transmitter to play MP3 from it to my car stereo and for the navigation voice.

I got the 2 GB card so I can hold ~ 40 hours of music.

Is there any way to load a DVD or mpg on the card and play it?

I am using the map that came with the unit 2009.1