GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Oregon 450 locks up

Started by Boats5, June 10, 2011, 06:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boats5

My 3 month old Oregon locks up ever so often.  Have to take the battery out and re-boot.  Getting ready to take it on a 3 week trip were it's going to be important and no way to get fixed if broken

Is it common and re-boot is the way to go or think I ought to return it to Garmin while I have the time

Boats

Indrid Cold

Run Webupdater to install (or reinstall) the latest unit software. Garmin just released v4.50/5.00 about a week ago for the Oregon x50 series, and it included a few bug fixes.

Boats5

foresterscott01

My 550 also locks up sometimes, mostly when the camera is being used and I try to pan too fast to take another photo.  It also seems to happen more often when the battery level is on the low side.  It might be voltage-related, as the camera function on the 550 also uses significant battery power.  I always run the rechargeables in it and am using the latest beta firmware as well.

Scott

Boyd

Crashes (aka lockups) are just a way of life with all Garmin products. If they happen frequently, then it could be a sign of a problem. But if they only happen "every so often", it's pretty normal (although it depends on how you define "every so often"  ;))

Indrid is correct that Garmin tries to fix the bugs, but invariably they also introduce new ones with each firmware version. I am therefore naturally suspicious of each new firmware version, and don't jump to install it until it is in widespread use and I read some hands-on user reports.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: foresterscott01 on June 13, 2011, 09:44:34 AM
My 550 also locks up sometimes, ...

...and am using the latest beta firmware as well.

Scott
the betas have been replaced with v4.50/5.00, run webupdater and give that a go.