GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

ETA for Updated Arizona Map?

Started by thewebshark, June 15, 2011, 02:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewebshark

Does anyone know when an updated AZ map will be released?  A lot has changed in Arizona since the last one was released.

I love that we have this alternative to the junk that came with my GPS.

Keep up the great work!!   ;D

Thanks.

Seldom

I knew they were planning to fill in the Grand Canyon and make a golf course, but I thought that was next year.   ???

Seriously, the AZ topo was just done in August of 2010.  And since its road data was probably based on the US Census Bureau Tiger files (or maybe OpenStreetMap which is derived from Tiger files.) Don't expect a whole lot of changes between then an now.  I'm working on a partial map of UT and AZ using OSM data, and I know that it's missing a lot of new subdivisions. 

Just getting these maps together using existing data is a lot of work so it's not likely that anyone here is going to make a statewide map and manually correct (trace) street locations using aerial/satellite imagery.

If you want updated subdivisions, buy City Navigator North America, NT.

maps4gps

If keeping up with changes is important, get Garmin's CN and their quarterly updates. 
How often is it really necessary for someone to put in the many tens to hundreds of hours it takes to create a topo map for a State so others can have it at no cost to them?   
It would be nice if 25-35 become involved to share the effort by each doing a State or two; reality is there are less involved now than 2-3 year ago.

Seldom

Better yet, webshark, become a member of OpenStreetMap, learn to use their editors, and update Arizona. 

-Oz-

Yea, the next update for Arizona won't happen until new roads data is available.  The topography doesn't change :)

What type of changes are you thinking (just roads)?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

I would not expect too much from the OpenStreetMap data.  According to the Wikie for OSM they did a mass seed for the US from Census data 2-3 years before the Census completed their 3-4 year project of spatial realignment.  This was also 2+ years before a Census release contained the full detail (both number of features and coordinate paris) of their files.  The 2009 release contained over  86 million line segments - unless this was planned for, I doubt individual contributors would have much effect.  The Census TIGER contribution in my planimetric mapsets is over twice in size what Ibycus had in his mapset - which is a least a year more recent than the OSM seed.

Census released the 2010 files from late Nov,2010 through Feb, 2011 - it was a staggered release to correspond to the release of demographic data for the 2010 census.  I would expect the 2011 release to be in Oct, 2011 - if they get back to a 'normal' schedual.   Topography may not change; however,  the source data and how USGS builds the NED does change/improve.   No big changes in most of the western States, but some of the other States have had major improvements by elimination of oversampled 1 arc sec (30m) data to true 1/3 arc sec (10m) data and /or a better production method.  Some of the older methods can result in contour lines quite different from the contours on the printed USGS 24k quads in some areas.  With every bimonthly release, more of the NED is backed by 1/9 arc sec (3m) LIDAR data.  NHD hydro and GNIS are also continually changing.

One of the concerns I have had is how often a mapset should be updated and what to do about the old mapsets on gpsfiledepot.  Some of the oldest ones are an editor's choice which does not encourage creation of another one which would likely be passed over by potential users.

Boyd

Quote from: maps4gps on June 16, 2011, 11:56:16 AM
One of the concerns I have had is how often a mapset should be updated and what to do about the old mapsets on gpsfiledepot.  Some of the oldest ones are an editor's choice which does not encourage creation of another one which would likely be passed over by potential users.

That is a very good point, and one that I've also wondered about.  :)

Seldom

I would not expect too much from the OpenStreetMap data. 

My experience with OSM data is limited to southern Utah and Northern Arizona.  The road data I've used from OSM has had fewer routing errors than the routable maps I've generated on my own using Tiger data.  That could be because the area generates more tourist interest.

-Oz-

Quote from: Boyd on June 16, 2011, 12:36:43 PM

That is a very good point, and one that I've also wondered about.  :)

Luckily i know who the editor is.  I actually need to change quite a few of them with the new topo maps that seem much better.  I also think the list on the right side with the U.S. topo maps needs updates too

need input though since my internet is a bit slow and somewhat unreliable
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!