GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Importing Waypoints To Garmin 78s

Started by Theregulator, June 08, 2011, 09:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theregulator

Can anyone tell me how to put import this http://www.fw.ky.gov/kfwis/gps/FishingAccessSites.gpx onto My Garmin 78s. I have basecamp on my computer. I go to this link http://www.fw.ky.gov/kfwis/gps/gps.asp and right click on "Fishing Access Locations (83 kilobytes)" and save to my computer. Then in Basecamp I select import and select that file to import and keep getting an error message. Am i doing this wrong?

Thanks
Mike

Seldom

I just tried opening it in MapSource and got an error message that it "could not be imported."  Guess something's wrong with the file.

Theregulator

It looks like it is saving as a .xml file not a .gpx file. Could that be the problem?

Indrid Cold

There, I fixed it for you

LIHIKER

I just about to say to import the gpx into google earth ( if you have it ), then export as Kmz. Then convert the Kmz to a gpx again using gpsbabel.

babj615

Indrid Cold, would you be so kind as to grace us with the process you used to "Fix" the broken gpx file?
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Seldom

I was curious too.  I suggest you read the GPX file in a text editor.

Indrid, do you know exactly what parts of the file were bad?

babj615

Quote from: seldom_sn on June 08, 2011, 06:21:48 PM
I was curious too.  I suggest you read the GPX file in a text editor.

I do that all the time.

I'm just not smart enough to know what is good and what is bad, yet.

;-)
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s

Indrid Cold

This can be found by diff:

diff  FishingAccessSites.gpx FishingAccessSites%20fixed.gpx

Theregulator

Indrid Cold,
Thanks. Got home last night and had no problems importing the file. Moved the waypoints to the GPS and good to go. This has every boat ramp in the state of KY and will be very helpful.

Thanks Again, I appreciate your help

Mike

Seldom

Quote from: babj615 on June 08, 2011, 08:03:05 PM

I do that all the time.

;-)

You saw how he fixed it though?

babj615

Quote from: seldom_sn on June 09, 2011, 12:07:48 PM
Quote from: babj615 on June 08, 2011, 08:03:05 PM

I do that all the time.

;-)

You saw how he fixed it though?

Not yet. I am not familiar with the "diff" function, or how to use it ;-)

I'll have to scan each file, line by line, side by side.....

Seldom

You don't need the diff function to figure it out.  Just open each file, and you'll see that Indrid imported the bad one into Global Mapper and exported the good one from it.  If you want to actually see what's different google for and download a copy of diffutils.  You can use it to create a text file with a side by side comparison.  Then you'll see that the format of the point descriptions is different between the files.

diff -y filename1 filename2 > outputfile.txt

Change the name of Indrid's file to eliminate the whitespace or put "quotes" around the "file name with whitespace.gpx".

Indrid Cold

The original file was an export from some outdated freeware ult in some goofy format, all the co-ords needed to be converted to a format that MapSourse/BaseCamp can deal with.

Seldom

I thought the interesting thing was that GM recognized the goofy format well enough to import it directly.