GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MapInstaller not loading

Started by ddsleo, June 03, 2011, 08:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddsleo

After following the instructions to install the Mac version on my MacBook Pro (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit//) and then connecting my new Garmin 450 to my Mac with an empty 1 GB micro SD card installed, opening the MapInstaller program immediately shows this message:

No Garmin Maps Found
We could not locate any Garmin map products to install. Please make sure you have a Garmin Map Product installed and run this application again.

Clicking OK on the message closes the program.  How do I remedy this?  Thanks.

Indrid Cold

You would have to install some Macintosh formated maps. Sounds like you have BaseCamp only installed.

ddsleo

I'm new to GPSFileDepot website and GPS units.  I thought MapInstaller installed maps from this webiste to my Garmin.  So how do I install Mac formatted maps then?  I don't have BaseCamp installed.  I loaded the Mac version of MapInstaller under Loading The Maps With A Mac on the link I previously listed and followed the instructions.

Indrid Cold

Go to the maps link at the top of this page and select, downlid and install one that has a Macintosh version. Seeing we don't know what area you are in, it's hard to recommend which to recommend

ddsleo

I figured out what you meant previously and downloaded a Mac version of portions of Hawaii.  MapInstaller opened and I saw my Garmin 450 and the installed memory card.  I selected the Garmin and installed the maps.  When completed, I checked the the Garmin but couldn't find the maps.  They weren't in the memory card either.  I disconnected the Garmin and turned it on, chose Maps, but no list of maps showed up.

ddsleo

I did figure out where to select enable or disable maps from Setup, but afterwards no map shows when I click Maps on the main page.  I live in California.

Indrid Cold

This one will work on all Garmin units and MapInstall:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/42/

Some of the other maps need BaseCamp and certain gps units.

ddsleo

That's the Hawaii map I installed.  Is the reason it doesn't show up on the Garmin screen is because I'm in California?  I'm downloading a Mac version California map now to see if I can get it to work.

ddsleo

No success with this California map either: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/28/.  Also, should I be able to see where in the Garmin files these Hawaii and California maps are being stored?  I can't find them which makes me wonder if they're being installed at all.  Thanks.

Indrid Cold

Works fine on my Macs and Oregon 450, doesn't matter where I am.

You should install BaseCamp and see if those maps are installed correctly.

You should also pass on the California Topo

Boyd

Quote from: ddsleo on June 04, 2011, 12:27:32 AMAlso, should I be able to see where in the Garmin files these Hawaii and California maps are being stored?

They should be installed here, where [your name] is the name of your account on the Mac:

/Users/[your name]/Library/Application\ Support/Garmin/Maps

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on June 04, 2011, 06:29:28 AM
Quote from: ddsleo on June 04, 2011, 12:27:32 AMAlso, should I be able to see where in the Garmin files these Hawaii and California maps are being stored?

They should be installed here, where [your name] is the name of your account on the Mac:

/Users/[your name]/Library/Application\ Support/Garmin/Maps
The "No Garmin Maps Found" error would suggest an improper install, BaseCamp for Macintosh has a feature to show where installed maps are located. This guy is poking & hopping all over the place. Let's see if we can't sink him:/

ddsleo

Sunk.  After some hours trying to wade through Basecamp and MapInstall, everything seems to proceed OK except when I turn on my Garmin, no map displays. Don't know where to turn to from here.  YouTube?