GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

cgpsmapper "Too Big RGN table" error

Started by Seldom, June 02, 2011, 07:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

This error shows up just before the end of a map compile. 

Anybody here besides me ever gotten it, and, if so, were you able to fix it? 

Running a search on this site I see that the only other mention of it was by me, in conjunction with vectorized tree graphics.

Thanks in advance.

Seldom

The maps I was compiling were 1 degree sections of northern AZ (lots of contour lines) with routable roads.  The fix was to ^x the roads, slice the remaining map into 0.0625 degree sections and ^v the roads.  (^x-^v leaves the roads unsliced.  Slicing roads can generate lots of routing graph errors, but cut and paste resulted in no errors during Verify Map). 

The other neat feature of the slicing was that the compile time improved by a factor of 20 or so.  On my machine compile time for these size maps took about an hour.  After slicing compile time was down to 2 or 3 minutes.

maps4gps

I had mentioned that I was experiencing unusually long compile times with the mapsets I recently built.  I had contoured in 30x30 minute files, versus 15x15 or smaller which I had previous used.  cgpamapper was likely breaking these long lines into smaller segments and was taking 6 to 10 times longer to compile the .img files.

Seldom

Has slicing improved your compile times?

One thing I don't slice is wooded areas I export from GM.  Sometimes those are malformed polygons, and they get really distorted when sliced.

maps4gps

I have never done slicing as you described it.
I tested by creating shape format contour files in 7 1/2' quad sizes; then opening all in GM and exporting as a single shape file for a larger quad (2x2 degrees or larger).
The .mp files were created by opening the larger contour line file and the files (up to 4x6 degrees in size each) for the other data types (hydro, transportation, GNIS, etc), then running a script file to create the smaller quad sized (15x30' to 1x2 degrees) .mp files.
The .mp files for various areas were compiling to .img in 1/6 to 1/10 the time it had taken when the contour lines had been created as initial 30x30' shape files. 

Seldom

Slicing is done in GPSmapedit.  Under the Tools button select "Slice all objects".  It takes less than a minute to slice a 1x1 degree 200 MB file, and as long as nothing is routeable or malformed I can't find any problems with the maps.