GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

No Dropdown Menu in MapSource

Started by ineedmaps1, May 26, 2011, 08:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Not sure. I have seen other posts where people called about issues with GPSFileDepot maps and the support people immediately said they don't support them. It would be interesting to know whether a "real" garmin map installs correctly, but if you don't have one then I guess that won't help...

Seldom

I doubt that the OP would get any help from Garmin Product Support, but might be worth trying Garmin Forums:
https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179
https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181

babj615

It would be very interesting to see if a Garmin map loads and functions properly... anyone near the OP that can loan him a DVD to try?

Maybe you can get one off ebay inexpensively.

Then, when it fails also, you have something to talk to Garmin about.

Solve one, probably solve them all :)

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Seldom

Quote from: babj615 on June 02, 2011, 12:20:12 PM
Maybe you can get one off ebay inexpensively.
Be sure to buy a product that doesn't lock to a GPSr.  A copy of CNNANT would be pretty useless if the unlock key had been used.

ineedmaps1

Quote from: jbensman on June 01, 2011, 10:45:08 PM
Try installing My Trails.  It works fine on my 64 bit Win7 system.  If My Trails work, then try NY Topo

Jben,

This worked! I don't quite understand why but it did! Do you understand why I needed to install My Trails to get the topos to show up? Thank you for your help by the way. I will definitely be clicking the donate button on your My Trails page.

Thanks again!

jbensman

I don't understand the problem.  But I remembered from a while ago someone else had the same problem with a Win 7 64 bit system and installing one of my Maps first fixed the problem.  When you create an installer, you run a script.  If I remember correctly, there was a version of a script on this site that did not work right with Win 7 64.  I beleive something got messed up with the regestry.  However, if you install a map like one of mine that was not created with the script, it sets the registry up right and then the installer script will install it correctly.  If you are confused, so am I!  But bottom line seems to be that installing one of my maps (and like many other on ths site) first will allow the other maps to install correctly. 

Bud_T

A timely thread. I just encountered the same problem and the same solution worked for me. I am using 64 bit Win7. I just did a fresh install of MapSource, then tried to install Colorado topo 2011 but it was not showing up. After trying various uninstall/re-install/restart combos, I came across this thread. Installing My Trails did the trick. @jbensman, thanks. @ineedmaps1 thanks for bringing the problem to the forum.

Bud

maps4gps

This issue has now occured in two of my recently created and uploaded State mapsets.
I download the appropriate programs, etc. (cgpsmapper, mapsettolkit, nsis, and OZ's setupinstall  template file -64 bit) immediately before creating the mapsets.
Seldom_sn check the NY topo after the issue was mentioned and it worked on his 64-bit machine; however, he probably already had mapsets installed.  It now sounds like it might be a first time install issue.  Is the issue occuring with Windows service pack one installed? 

jbensman

Sounds like a problem with the install script.  Here is what I use for My Trails if you want to compare to your script

;--------------------------------
; install.nsi
  !include "MUI2.nsh"

; Configuration parameters
  !define MAP_DESC_NAME       "My Trail Maps"
  !define MAP_SHORT_NAME      "My Trails"
  !define MAP_URL             "http://webpages.charter.net/jbensman/Maps.htm"
  !define MAP_EMAIL           "[email protected]"
  !define MAP_COPYRIGHT       "Copyright (C) 2011 Jim Bensman"
  !define MAP_VERSION         "8.6"
  !define MAP_REL_DATE        "March 18, 2011"
  !define MAP_ID              1900             ; Family ID = 4644 (dec) = 1224 (hex) = 2412 (hex flipped) --> http://www.geocities.com/binary_converter/
  !define MAP_TYPE            M0000019         ; only if using custom types
  !define DIRECTORY        "C:\Garmin\My Trails\"
  !define EXE_FILE            "${DIRECTORY}\My_Trails_install.exe"

;  !define INSTALL_ICON        "C:\gps_maps\arizona_topo\complete\favicon.ico"
;  !define INSTALL_IMAGE       "C:\gps_maps\left_header.bmp"
;  !define INSTALL_LICENSE     "C:\gps_maps\license.txt"
  !define INSTALL_README      "$INSTDIR\readme.txt"
;  !define INSTALL_MSG         "${MAP_DESC_NAME} - Maps for Garmin GPS Units$\r$\n${MAP_URL}$\r$\nVersion ${MAP_VERSION} - ${MAP_REL_DATE}$\r$\n$\r$\n$\r$\nPlease email ${MAP_EMAIL} with any questions or comments or if you paid for this map.$\r$\n$\r$\n$\r$\n${MAP_COPYRIGHT}$\r$\nThis software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty.  In no event will the author(s) be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software."
  !define INSTALL_MSG         "${MAP_COPYRIGHT}  This wizard will guide you through the installation of My Trails version ${MAP_VERSION} (${MAP_REL_DATE}) for Garmin GPS Units.$\r$\n$\r$\n${MAP_URL}$\r$\n$\r$\nPlease email ${MAP_EMAIL} with any questions or comments or if you paid for this map.$\r$\n$\r$\nIt is recommended that you close all other applications before starting Setup.  This will make it possible to update relevant system files without having to reboot your computer.$\r$\n$\r$\nClick Next to continue."

; Setup installer
  Name       "${MAP_DESC_NAME}"
  OutFile    My_Trails_install.exe
  InstallDir "C:\garmin\My Trails"
  BrandingText " "

;Interface Settings
  !define MUI_ABORTWARNING
;  !define MUI_ICON   ${INSTALL_ICON}
;  !define MUI_UNICON ${INSTALL_ICON}

;Pages
; Generic welcome screen (optional)
;  !define MUI_WELCOMEFINISHPAGE_BITMAP ${INSTALL_IMAGE}
;  !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_WELCOME

; Custom welcome screen (optional)
  !define MUI_WELCOMEPAGE_TITLE "Welcome to the ${MAP_DESC_NAME} Setup Wizard"
  !define MUI_WELCOMEPAGE_TEXT "${INSTALL_MSG}"
  !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_WELCOME

;  !define MUI_LICENSEPAGE_CHECKBOX
;  !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_LICENSE "${INSTALL_LICENSE}"

; Installation directory dialog
  !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_DIRECTORY

; Installation
  !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_INSTFILES

; Readme (optional)
  !define MUI_FINISHPAGE_SHOWREADME "${INSTALL_README}"
  !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_FINISH

!insertmacro MUI_UNPAGE_CONFIRM
  !insertmacro MUI_UNPAGE_INSTFILES

;Languages
  !insertmacro MUI_LANGUAGE "English"

; The stuff to install
Section "Install"
;remove the old version first
  ReadRegStr $R0 HKLM \
  "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}" \
  "UninstallString"
  StrCmp $R0 "" done

MessageBox MB_OKCANCEL|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION \
  "${MAP_DESC_NAME} is already installed. $\n$\nClick `OK` to remove the \
  previous version and upgrade or `Cancel` to cancel this upgrade." \
  IDOK uninst
  Abort

;Run the uninstaller
uninst:
  ClearErrors
  ExecWait '$R0 _?=$INSTDIR' ;Do not copy the uninstaller to a temp file

IfErrors no_remove_uninstaller
    ;You can either use Delete /REBOOTOK in the uninstaller or add some code
    ;here to remove the uninstaller. Use a registry key to check
    ;whether the user has chosen to uninstall. If you are using an uninstaller
    ;components page, make sure all sections are uninstalled.
  no_remove_uninstaller:

done:
; Set output path to the installation directory.
  SetOutPath $INSTDIR

; Source files for creating installation
  File /a "${DIRECTORY}${MAP_SHORT_NAME}.tdb"
  File /a "${DIRECTORY}${MAP_SHORT_NAME}.img"
  File /a "C:\Garmin\My Trails\M0000019.TYP" 
  File /a "C:\Garmin\My Trails\readme.txt"
  File /a "${DIRECTORY}*.img"

; Write the installation path into the registry
  WriteRegStr   HKLM "SOFTWARE\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}" "Install_Dir" "$INSTDIR"
  WriteRegStr   HKLM "SOFTWARE\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}" "Version"     "${MAP_VERSION}"

; Write the MapSource configuration into the registry
  WriteRegBin   HKLM "SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}"   "ID"    ${MAP_ID}
  WriteRegStr   HKLM "SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}"   "TYP"   "$INSTDIR\${MAP_TYPE}.typ"     ; only if using custom type

WriteRegStr   HKLM "SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}\1" "LOC"   "$INSTDIR\"
  WriteRegStr   HKLM "SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}\1" "BMAP"  "$INSTDIR\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}.img"
  WriteRegStr   HKLM "SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}\1" "TDB"   "$INSTDIR\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}.tdb"

; Write the uninstall keys for Windows
  WriteRegStr   HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}" "DisplayName"     "${MAP_DESC_NAME}"
  WriteRegStr   HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}" "UninstallString" "$INSTDIR\uninstall.exe"
  WriteRegDWORD HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}" "NoModify" 1
  WriteRegDWORD HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}" "NoRepair" 1

WriteUninstaller "uninstall.exe"
SectionEnd

; Uninstaller
Section "Uninstall"

; Remove registry keys
  DeleteRegKey HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}"
  DeleteRegKey HKLM "SOFTWARE\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}"
  DeleteRegKey HKLM "SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\${MAP_SHORT_NAME}"

; Remove files and uninstaller
  Delete $INSTDIR\*.*
  Delete $INSTDIR\uninstall.exe

; Remove directories used
  RMDir "$INSTDIR"
SectionEnd

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on June 05, 2011, 12:59:34 PM
Is the issue occuring with Windows service pack one installed? 
Service Pack 1 isn't installed on my machine yet.

rwperk

I am also running Win7 64bit. For me the drop down Menu was working fine with five state maps that I had downloaded and installed from this site THEN the drop down quit working after about 5 days.  I also tried various uninstall/re-install/restart combos, and system restore.                      After reding this thread this is what I did: I uninstalled everything except MapSource and also deleted the map downloads that I had saved. Then I downloaded and installed MY Trails followed by some state maps. Now the drop down WORKS!   :)                                                      Thanks for the help!

maps4gps

Just installed BaseCamp on a 64-bit PC with Window 7 SP1. 
Installed one of my new mapsets.  Neither BC nor MapSetToolKit recognized the mapset.
Ran the uninstaller for it.  Tried installing with MSTK but received an error message.

Installed one of my older mapsets which was not build with the '64-bit' nsis script.
Both BC & MSTK could 'see' the mapset.  Then installed the previous new mapset built with the '64-bit' nsis script.  Worked fine.  Installed 5 additional 'new' mapsets - all visible in BC & MSTK and uploaded to OR300.  BC and mapsets defaulted to installing in the Windows 32-bit folder.

Used software downloaded about two months ago - NSIS, nsis script, MSTK, cgpsmapper.
Is the issue with the nsis script file from gpsfiledepot, or one or more of the software programs, or ???

Seldom

I've got Service Pack 1 running now, and everything is working fine, but I've got lots of old maps on it including My Trails, so I suspect the old stuff is inoculating me from problems in the new script.

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on June 13, 2011, 06:45:18 AM
Is the issue with the nsis script file from gpsfiledepot, or one or more of the software programs, or ???

Any word on this yet?  I'm about ready to put an installer together.

maps4gps

I do not have the backgound knowledge to know what or how to test this.  I do not even know if uninstalling everything would give a prestine setup to do a some testing.  
My mapsets made before fall, 2010 used older versions of NSIS, nsi script, mapsettoolkit and cgpsmapper on a 32-bit PC running Vista.  I do not recall anyone having an install issue with either a 32-bit nor 64-bit PC. 
Too be safe until this is resolved, it may be best to stay with older versions.  I never heard why a 64-bit version was being swithced to.