GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Routes 'n Tracks, Tracks 'n Routes

Started by johnsl0502, May 23, 2011, 12:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsl0502

First, let me thank all of the map authors and posters on this forum. You all have made learning the ins 'n outs of my Oregon 450 a lot more enjoyable. Your expertise and patience is really appreciated.

I am still struggling with the differences in Routes vs Tracks. I realize that a Route represents a collection of way points which I want to follow (future tense) and a Track is a collection of way points that I (or someone else) collected (past tense). But is there something more fundamental than that?

For example, I am planning a backpacking trip in the Shenandoah next month and would like to have the trail I selected highlighted on my GPS. I have done this on a local walk around my area, I load the Track and follow it, the GPS shows me via the location symbol when I stray from the intended course. What got me confused however, is when I dl'd the file of the Shenandoah hike I'm planning, it was in *.gpx format. I used GPSBabel to convert to *.gdb. The thing is that GPSBabel asked whether I wanted to load a Track, Way point, or Route.

Bottom line to my long winded question is this: isn't the difference between a Route and a Track simply one of tense? or is there something more?
Thanks again for all your help
John

jbensman

Take your GPX and get elevation data from  http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation (that will enable you to see the elevation profile of your hike and know distances to high points,, etc.) Save the gpx with the elevation data on your GPS in garmin\gpx  Then you can use: where to tracks and follow the track. 

You can also draw a track in MapSource or BaseCamp and save it as a gpx file on your GPS in garmin\gpx  The 450 reads gpx files-it will not read a Mapsource File

Don't use routes.

My Trails has all the NPS data for Shenandoah-but when I was there, some of it was way off and some was good.  I would also load My Trails on your GPS.  You could also GPS trails for me to update My Trails.

eaparks

There is a little more to the difference between a Route and Track than just the tense.  

I'll mention auto-routing first just to get it out of the way since it is unique.  If you have a map such as City Navigator installed and enabled on your GPS with navigate on road activated, then all you have to specify is a starting and ending point (called waypoints) and the route will stay on road and give you turn by turn directions.

An off road route which you are referring to uses a user specified list of "Waypoints" in an order that you have to specify.  You are navigated in a straight line from waypoint to waypoint and you can monitor the information to the next waypoint and to the final waypoint (destination).  You are limited to, I believe 250 waypoints per route, I could be wrong on the number (haven't looked in a long time).

A track is made up of a bunch of points (but these points are not waypoints) and are commonly referred to as a trail of breadcrumbs.  You can have up to 10,000 of these points.  A track is generally used for a shorter course of travel that will display much greater accuracy due to the high number of points used.  You can specify how often you want your breadcrumb of points to be recorded.  A track can still be several miles in length.  You can only view the track data in regard to you reaching the end of that track.

The Oregon wiki will help to clarify even more.
http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Navigation+and+Routes
http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Tracks

Seldom

Quote from: jbensman on May 23, 2011, 02:46:21 PM
Then you can use: where to tracks and follow the track. 

This is called backtracking (or TrackBacking?) and you can run the track you just made in reverse.  Best way to get out of a corn maze.

jbensman

Quote from: seldom_sn on May 23, 2011, 03:40:16 PM
Quote from: jbensman on May 23, 2011, 02:46:21 PM
Then you can use: where to tracks and follow the track. 

This is called backtracking (or TrackBacking?) and you can run the track you just made in reverse.  Best way to get out of a corn maze.

Trackback works the same way, but this is not backtracking.  You create a track (with the track draw tool) of where you are going (or get a track from someone who already went there-you may need to clean up the track), load it on your GPS and the GPS will follow it.

I also forgot to mention you can save your campsites or other points along your track as waypoints and send them to your GPS.  Then when you are following the track, Activce Route will give you a distance to these points. 

babj615

The slimy trail a snail leaves in its wake is a TRACK.

The predator that follows this same slimy trail in search of lunch is following the TRACK like a ROUTE.

If the predator were particularly hungry, it might plot in advance several locations in the garden it wanted to visit, in a specific order. This is a ROUTE.

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

jbensman

Quote from: jolly47roger on May 24, 2011, 01:56:09 PM
In many ways they are the same - a list of points with coordinates. But routes are made by choosing waypoints - landmarks, road junctions etc. Tracks are recorded automatically - every few seconds or every few metres and have a time recorded too so you can calculate speed. For this reason, routes usually have tens of points and tracks have hundreds or thousands. Most GPS devices will only follow a route, rather than a track.

Not sure what you are basing your statement that most GPS will not follow a track on, but the OP is correct his GPS will follow a track.  You are also correct that a GPS will record a track, however, you can draw a track with many programs.  On the 450, there is no question a track is the way to go. 

babj615

For more information concerning Routes vs. Tracks, you may want to read this article. :)
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador