GPSFileDepot.com

Loading Maps on 62S - separating Topo 2008 from Inland Lakes 2008?

Started by tdoga2, May 29, 2011, 05:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdoga2

Just picked up my 62S from REI and I'm trying to load both Inland Lakes 2008 and Topo 2008 on it using MapInstall.  They actually load fine for the regions I choose.  The issue is I can't seem to enable or disable one of these maps at a time on the device.  It seems I can only view Inland Lakes, but I don't see any of the Topo contours.  The do not show as separate maps in the setup map menus.

Admittedly, I have not loaded the maps separately.  Do I need to do that in order for this to work correctly?

Thank you very much for your assistance.
--T

Boyd

This has been discussed before and I've seen varying reports. But my experience has been that if you load more than one map in a single transfer (as you have done), you'll have the problem that you describe. They will tied together and you can't enable them separately.

Instead, load US Topo first, then look in the Garmin folder on the GPS and change the name of the gmapsupp.img file to something else, such as topo.img. Now load the Inland Lakes map. Now you can rename the gmapsupp.img file lakes.img (or whatever).

The newer units recognize any map file with an .img extension, but Mapsource and Mapinstall always create a file named gmapsupp.img for compatibility with older models.

maps4gps

I have no problems on my OR300 with loading multiple mapsets in a single .img file and being able to enable/disable each seperately.

MapSource was used to combine my cotopo11 and wytopo11 and add quads for a mapset containing the western portions of SD and NE.  The subheader is all from the COtopo; however each of the three mapsets can be enable/disable individually and so appears on the GPSr.

Boyd

Perhaps it has something to do with FID's? Also might be related to the firmware version?

jbensman

Quote from: maps4gps on May 31, 2011, 11:05:49 AM
I have no problems on my OR300 with loading multiple mapsets in a single .img file and being able to enable/disable each seperately.

MapSource was used to combine my cotopo11 and wytopo11 and add quads for a mapset containing the western portions of SD and NE.  The subheader is all from the COtopo; however each of the three mapsets can be enable/disable individually and so appears on the GPSr.

I could be wrong, but my understanding on the 62 (I've got an OR 550T), you have to send each mapset seperately and renames the img file.  I belevie on the 62, enable/disable is not determined by the mapset, but by the img file.  So they need a topo 2008.img and a Inland lake.img

maps4gps

Which way does a 78 handle this?
On the 76, etc. when the image file list was shown, a 'menu' press would show a listing of mapsets in the gmapsupp.img file and each could be 'show'/'hide' individually.

Indrid Cold