GPSFileDepot.com

My Trails does not show any roads. No PC Basemap

Started by rondi, May 22, 2011, 10:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rondi

Hi, It's been a few weeks since i have used My Trails, but I'm positive it showed features--rivers, roads etc.  Now there are none.  It shows the trails when zoomed in to 7mi, but again--no other features.

I have XP SP3. 2 things happened recently,
1. I installed a larger HDD and "cloned" the old drive to the new one.
2. I installed BaseCamp 3.2.0.1 beta.

I do not have PC Basemap in my map dropdown in BaseCamp or MapSource. I have all my other maps, and they all work fine except My Trails.

I did not have the PCBSMP2 in my C:\Program File\Garmin folder. I copied it there from my original HDD, but it did not make any difference. I have uninstalled MapSource 6.16.3 and deleted the MapSource files in the Garmin folder, and cleared the cache. I then installed 6.15.11 and 6.16.1 with no change. In neither case did the PCBSMP2 folder get installed.

The Global Map is present in both BaseCamps (3.06 ant the Beta) and in TrainingCenter--but those are called Global not PC Basemap.

I expect a registry entry is wrong, got screwed up in the cloning or ??

What do I need to do to get my PC Basemap back and hopefully roads and other features in My Trails?

Ron

Edit--Add: I have not installed My Trails on my O450 yet.

Seldom

I'm pretty sure that MyTrails is a transparent map that only features trails.  At least that's the way it looks in MapSource.  You would have seen all the features you describe on your GPSr if you had another map with those features also visible.  AFAIK there is no way to view transparent maps on top of other maps in MapSource.

rondi

Thanks for the reply, I just edited the original post to say I had not installed My Trails yet on my Oregon 450.  But I'm pretty sure while looking at My Trails for MN & WI, either in MapSource and/or BaseCamp---there were roads displayed a few weeks ago.  Maybe not.

If I'm wrong---sorry to waste the bandwidth :)

Ron

maps4gps

'My Trails' only contains trails.  Perhaps you are thinking of 'My Topos' whcih does have roads and hydro.

Mapsets have Windows registry entries for the drive and folder.  Copying mapset files to a different drive and/or folder does not work.  The registry entries must also be changed.  You need to uninstall the mapset(s) and then reinstall them to the new location.   The info in the registry could be changed; however, if not done correctly it could render the computer inoperable - you really need to be very very sure you know what you are doing when altering the registry.  

rondi

You guys are right--only the trails show on My Trails.  I don't know why I thought I viewed My Trails overlaid with a Basemap before using either BaseCamp or MapSource. 

I installed My Trails on my W7 laptop and it is as you say--no map.

The reason I wanted my PC Basemap back was because I thought that was the map which was displayed with My Trails.  I have CN installed which has much better accuracy.

Sorry for the post,
Ron

maps4gps

The overlay/transparent mapsets are somewhat confusing as they work differently. 
I do not believe Garmin has any such types of mapsets, so we are lucky we can make them to enchance other mapsets. 

jbensman

My Trails contains thousands of roads (including many in WI and MN.  My criteria for adding them to My Trails is if other maps don't have them.  For example, I have many unpaved roads from the Forest Service, NPS, and USFWS that are not on other maps.  In places where My Topos cover, I will add something that is not in City Navigator.  I will also use a white line to cover up roads that CN shows that do not exist (there are lots of them in parks).  Particularly in IL and MO, I will also add alleys.   In many parks CN doesn't have all the roads and I will add them to My Trails (particulalry IL and MO). 

jbensman

Quote from: maps4gps on May 23, 2011, 10:03:19 AM
The overlay/transparent mapsets are somewhat confusing as they work differently. 
I do not believe Garmin has any such types of mapsets, so we are lucky we can make them to enchance other mapsets. 

Garmin has multiple transparnt maps

Seldom

Quote from: jbensman on May 23, 2011, 11:24:06 AM
Garmin has multiple transparnt maps

I don't own any of them, but those would be the "Rails to Trails", "Equestrian", and "Whitewater" maps?
It's hard to tell, viewing the screenshots they associate with them because they could be overlaid on other non-transparent map products.

jbensman

maps4gps

Thanks Jim for the more detailed information on your 'My Trails' and Garmin's overlay/transparent mapsets.  After I posted, I was thinking Garmin's Inland Waterways may be overlay/tansparent.