GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Oregon 450t belt clip

Started by tato, April 22, 2011, 12:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tato

I bought my Oregon 450t as an open-box return.
Is the belt clip supposed to come with a D-ring carabiner?

Boyd

The 450t comes with the carabiner clip

You can also purchase a belt clip separately

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=31492

Seldom

The Garmin belt clip I had for my 60CSX wore out on me a couple of times.  They're easy to replace, but you could lose the GPSr when they failed.  Suggest if you get the belt clip you also use a lanyard.  On my OR300 there's a lanyard eye just above the USB connector cover.

babj615

What does the actual fastener on that belt clip look like? Is the protruding part on the belt clip or on the GPSr piece?
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Boyd

I think the picture I posted shows it clearly. The long plastic part that says "Garmin" slides into the grooves on the back of the Oregon and snaps into position. The clip sticks out from that, and looks pretty much the same as the 60csx clip. I think it releases like the 60csx clip when you push the button, so the clip itself would remain on your belt while the other part stays on the GPS.

This accessory wasn't introduced until about a year after the Oregon was released. I bought one of the early Oregon models, and at first was disappointed by the carabiner and wished they offered a clip like my 60csx. But after using the carabiner for awhile, I came to like it more than the 60csx clip.

babj615

Boyd, I ask because most equipment has the male part of the quick release on the component and the clip on your belt has the flush female receptacle, leaving a protrusion on the equipment to get in the way while using it in the field:

I do have some Motorola radios that do the opposite, and so the clip on the radio is flush and flat for ergonomics, while the male protrusion remains on the belt clip:

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Indrid Cold

Quote from: babj615 on April 22, 2011, 03:57:43 PM
Boyd, I ask because most equipment has the male part of the quick release on the component and the clip on your belt has the flush female receptacle, leaving a protrusion on the equipment to get in the way while using it in the field
The Oregon's use a rail system as in the first photos

Boyd

I have not looked closely at one of those clips since I use the carabiner. But from the photo, I think it has a post like the picture that babj615 posted. I can see what I assume is a button that releases the clip in that photo, and assume that would allow you to keep the clip on your belt while removing the gps (with the post sticking out). It would be very awkward to remove the whole clip assembly from the rails just to take a quick look at the GPS while hiking.

I noticed that REI had these clips in stock once when I was there. If there's a store in your area, stop by and maybe you can have a look in person. But regardless, even if there is a post, it would be easy to remove the whole thing from the rails when you aren't using it.

RevDoggin

Here's a picture showing both parts of the belt clip on the right side of the frame. There is a button that you can see extending upward out of the belt portion of the clip that releases the GPS half of the clip. The design works exactly like the Motorola radio posted by babj615.

I also included the 450 inside of the case to show that the back of the case has an opening to give access to any of the carrying or mounting options. I've had my Oregon a few weeks and have only used the carabiner but I figure that there may be times when the belt clip will work better for me. I used to clip my old eTrex onto a front strap of my camera backpack so I could clip unclip it easily while hiking. This new clip seems pretty sturdy to me and the release looks like it will work well.

Also, even though it doesn't completely relate to your post I know that others may be using this forum to make purchasing decisions, so I have a comment about the soft case and screen protecter. Some reviewers found it impossible to work the touch screen with a screen protector or soft case on but I bought them both anyway. I use both and still find it easy to work the touch screen. It takes a little more effort with the case on but I like the idea of having the case on so the GPS doesn't get beat up. When I've been sitting around the house trying to figure out how to work the thing I have it out of the case to make it easier.