GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Postgis

Started by rickvr, February 16, 2009, 11:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickvr

I have tried to install postgis with Application Stack Builder several times and I keep get this error
"ERROR 740: The requested operation requires elevation", and skips the installation of postgis. What am I doing wrong.

dhisum_dhisum

Are you running Vista? If so, you would need to right click on the Application Builder application and click "Run as Administrator." Simply put, the computer is complaining that  you are attempting to "Install an application" while you are not an Administrator.

rickvr

Thanks, that helped. Now this error popped up, I'll try to attach.

dhisum_dhisum

I think I kept facing problems like these when directly installing postgis using the application builder. Eventually, I gave up and downloaded postgis separately from its website:

http://postgis.refractions.net/download/windows/

Once you have downloaded the file, right click on the file and click "run as administrator". That should get postgis installed for you.

If there is a problem, let me know and I will take a look at the exact steps.

-Oz-

A lot of vista users have been having that problem; no one has a solution yet as far as I know.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

dhisum_dhisum

Well, I did create Washington Map on vista following the steps exactly, so I do have an idea, but I have started forgetting. If someone needs exact help, I could help. The one thing I do distinctively remember is that shp2sql kept crashing on vista, no matter what I did. Eventually, I searched on the internet and found a version that worked to a degree. It would keep throwing errors, but did work eventually.

-Oz-

I have posted a version here that works on vista for that file; the developers made it for me :)

http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,101.0.html
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

rickvr

Thanks for the help, I'll keep working on it.