News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Loading Maps onto my New 62s

Started by vontrapp, May 06, 2011, 11:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vontrapp

:'(

I recently purchased a 62s and tried to load Maps on it but can't get the maps to load onto Mapsource. The Maps go into Program files and even if I try to change the destination nothing happens. Its like Mapsource won't except them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jbensman

Read the tutorial: How To Open Maps In MapSource

It would appear the maps are there, you just don't know how to open them in Mapsource.  You run the installer and then select the map in mapsource

maps4gps

If you have MapSource open when you install (run the .exe file you downloaded) a mapset, MapSource needs to be closed and restarted.  It, and BaseCamp, only checks the Windows registry for installed mapsets when they start.

vontrapp

:'(
Ok I figured out how to load maps off of mapsource but some how my worldwide basemap dissapeared is there a map that i can replace it. This isn't fun anymore

Boyd

Look in the Garmin folder on your GPS. Do you see a file named gmapbmap.img? If so, then the basemap is OK. Mapsource and Basecamp will never bother that map. The only way you could lose it would be to intentionally delete it.

Regardless, take the time right now to make a full backup of the entire contents of your unit - just drag or copy/paste the files to a folder on your computer. Really, this should be the FIRST thing you do when you buy a GPS. Cheap insurance against future problems.

Worst case, call Garmin support and have your unit connected to your computer. They can access it remotely to repair problems.

vontrapp

Thanks for the help. I was renaming files and deleting when I must of grabbed a
the wrong one. These forums are great I can't believe they don't send better directions with the unit.