GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Cant see map on eTrex HCx

Started by pmcq, March 29, 2011, 08:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmcq

hey everyone, new here, and I apologize if this has been asked already.  I'm having problems actually seeing a map I sent to my etrex.  I select the map in map source, send it to the deivice, and when I go to map information-show all it's not there.  I've got a 2gb sd card in the device so there is more than enough space.  Any idea?  Thanks in advance.

Boyd

Is there a Garmin folder on the card, and does it contain a file named gmapsupp.img? If not, then no map was actually sent. If so, how big is the file and does its modification date match the time when you sent the map?

pmcq

Yes there is a garmin folder, and there is a file with that name in there.  The size is 1.543 kb.

Indrid Cold

Boyd

1.5K sounds very small for a map file. Are you sure that you used the map tool to select the full area that you wanted to install in Mapsource?

In Mapsource, look under the Maps tab in the left hand pane. This should contain a list of all the map segments you have selected to send to the GPS and it should tell you their total size. That should be roughly equivalent to the size of the gmapsupp.img file on the card.

DougD

Qustion:  I'm having problems actually seeing a map I sent to my etrex.  I select the map in map source, send it to the deivice, and when I go to map information-show all it's not there.  I've got a 2gb sd card in the device so there is more than enough space.  Any idea?

Reply:  I had the same problem and after numerous attempts I got it to work.  The difference was one of two (or both) steps: (1) Load the sd card in the mac (download map to your Mac rather than direct to the HCX); and (2)  When you get to Step 7 of Rex's "loading the maps with a mac" tutorial (Goto the TUTORIAL link on this website) you should see a picture of your map on Mapinstall.  You need to actually highlight (as in a copy/paste absent the paste) the whole map or a portion of the map are interested in.  Only then proceed with the Mapinstall prompts.  Take SD card out of your mac, install it in your hcs and hopefully you're good to go.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: DougD on May 06, 2011, 05:49:35 AMI had the same problem and after numerous attempts I got it to work.  The difference was one of two (or both) steps: (1) Load the sd card in the mac (download map to your Mac rather than direct
to the HCX); and (2)  When you get to Step 7 of Rex's "loading the maps with a mac" tutorial (Goto the TUTORIAL link on this website) you should see a picture of your map on Mapinstall.  You need to actually highlight (as in a copy/paste absent the paste) the whole map or a portion of the map are interested in.  Only then proceed with the Mapinstall prompts.  Take SD card out of your mac, install it in your hcs and hopefully you're good to go.
You can send the maps directy to the Vista HCx, one was used in that tutorial.

Also in step 7:
"You can click on tiles to select them or marquee a selection; here I have selected the complete map." covers what you are describing.

Boyd

FYI, I got a PM from Doug saying that he figured it out.  :)