GPSFileDepot.com

Why Does Topo 100K DVD need a high speed internet? Me no have one.

Started by MAT, April 28, 2011, 10:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAT

I'm one of the handful that can't get high speed internet connection at home, thanks to AT&T (you suck). It's not like I'm out in the sticks.  Anyway I bought the 100K topo but didn't open it yet, and it says a high speed connection is needed.  For what?  I thought the files were on the DVD?

Boyd

If that's true then something has changed recently with the 100k topo DVD. I have an older copy (marketed as US Topo 2008) and no internet connection is required. There are only two reasons why I can imagine that internet access might be needed. (1) to download updates - although none have been made available for this product, or (2) they may have added copy protection such that you need to connect to Garmin's servers to unlock the map for your GPS. In the past, this product has not been locked and you are able to install it on more than one GPS.

More likely than not, this is just some generic language that they put on all their packaging. A third possibility is that they want you to register the product on their website. If you're concerned about any of this, you should contact Garmin support. This is a user forum that primarily deals with user-contributed free maps.

EagleBoy

Possibly to DL the Garmin Communicator Plugin?  That is used to talk between the GPSr and your PC.