GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Do I need BASECAMP?

Started by Yenalom, April 24, 2011, 06:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yenalom

I have installed BASECAMP (I believe I cannot get/install MAPSOURCE because I have not purchased any maps on DVD from Garmin}.

I used BASECAMP to install the NY state TOPO downloaded from this site. I have also loaded some Garmin Custom Maps that I created. Installing the Custom Maps was straightforward. I juct copied them from my computer to the correct folder on my Dakota 20.

Can I do the same with other maps downloaded from this site or must I use BASECAMP to install them? I think I understand the issue of renaming the file that BASECAMP loaded before loading another file from here.

Both the NY Topo and the Custom Maps work fine on my unit.

I have no need for BASECAMP other than loading maps to the unit. I have my own separate system for saving tracks, waypoints, etc.

Bob M

maps4gps

BasaCamp or MapSource are used to transfer part or all of a mapset to the GPSr. 
If you have not already done so, look at some of the basic tutorials on using maps, http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/

Seldom

Basecamp can also geotag photos to your GPSr track log so when you get back from a trip, you know where you took the photos.  You can't do that with MapSource.

Boyd

If you have already installed Basecamp, you can now install Mapsource with no issues - download it here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

When you install Basecamp, it places a crude basemap on your computer. When you install Mapsource, it will see this basemap and consider it a "Garmin Product" which will permit Mapsource to be installed.

If you want to use BirdsEye imagery, you will have to use Basecamp since it's not supported by Mapsource. Also, the newest Garmin handhelds store waypoints in more than one place and only Basecamp knows how to access them all - Mapsource only loads them from one location. The developers say they don't plan to upgrade Mapsource to be compatible with these new models. I have an older model (Oregon 400t) so I am just basing this on what's been written in the Garmin support forum. I believe the new models include the Oregon 450, 550, Dakota 10, 20, GPSMap 62 and 78 series.

Evidently these units store waypoints in folders or files that are organized by dates. Maybe somebody who has one of these units can explain more fully because I'm curious about how this works on the new models myself.

babj615

If you wish to bypass Mapsource and Basecamp when installing maps to your Dakota, install Garmin MapInstall and run it to copy full or partial maps from your PC to your Garmin GPSr.

Any maps you wish to copy to your GPSr must first be installed to your PC.

You will want to use Basecamp for other functions as Mapsource certainly will not interface well with the Dakota.

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Yenalom

Thanks for replies.

As I understand I will need BASECAMP or MAPINSTALL to load maps (in particular those from GPSFILEDEPOT) onto my DAKOTA.

There is no easy way to load them (e.g. Garmin Custom Maps).

Bob M

maps4gps

What Garmin is refering to by 'Garmin Custom Maps' are photo type images which use the .kmz format.  They are not line type vector maps like City Navigator, 100k, 24k, etc.  Most of the maps here are the line type (with a few .kmz image).  Independent/3rd party map authors refered to our creations as 'Custom Maps' for years before Garmin GPSrs were capable of using image type data. 

If you want easy - buy a Garmin mapset on a pre-recorded mico card.  There is certainly a downside to doing so. 

Yenalom

Thanks for your responses.

I understand that GARMIN Custom Maps refers to the kmz files created from raster maps. I have made several Garmin Custom Maps for friends with Garmin GPSr's. I finally bought my DAKOTA so that I could see what the images looked like on a Garmin and to try and understand the problems my friends were having with the Custom Maps.

I probably only need the Custom Maps I have created and now understand better the 100 tile limit and the fact that you cannot enable/disable the Custom maps individually.

I have downloaded a vector file from GPSFILEDEPOT and installed it using BASECAMP. It was no problem but certainly not as simple as installing the Custom maps.

I have downloaded and installed MAPSOURCE and MAPINSTALL but have not used them yet.

Since the only use I will probably have for these programs is to install new vector maps, I will probably select one of the three and get rid of the other two.

Once more thanks for your  help  (and the others),

Bob M

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Yenalom on April 25, 2011, 02:43:40 PM

I have downloaded a vector file from GPSFILEDEPOT and installed it using BASECAMP. It was no problem but certainly not as simple as installing the Custom maps.

I have downloaded and installed MAPSOURCE and MAPINSTALL but have not used them yet.

Since the only use I will probably have for these programs is to install new vector maps, I will probably select one of the three and get rid of the other two.
Not sure why you had to download MapInstall as it come bundled with BaseCamp and is what is used to install maps as BaseCamp can not install maps, all it does is open MapInstall...

Yenalom

I realized that MAPINSTALL had already been installed on my computer  when I attempted to install it.

I do need some time to read the help files and play with BASECAMP AND MAPSOURCE before asking any more questions.

I have had no problems loading maps downloaded from GPSFILEDEPOT to my DAKOTA using BASECAMP.