GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

practice map

Started by Dean, February 13, 2009, 10:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean

I am learning by making a map of Nevada. So far I've done transportation and GNIS and 3 of the 70 contours downloads. At this rate it should take me a month to download the remaining 67 contour files as listed in the excel spreadsheet. Is there a faster method of getting those contour files downloaded?

Dean

DSL and the ones that I have downloaded seem to take 1 hour or so.

-Oz-

You know a map of Nevada exists right?

And regrettably unless the files exist from another site (a state GIS clearinghouse) there isn't a faster way; the excel sheet is faster than using the GUI to select the areas.

Also, you can download 2-3 at a time and have another 2-3 in queue waiting...
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Dean

yes I know a map of Nevada exists. I have it downloaded and running in mapsource. I wanted to get the experience of making a map for myself.

-Oz-

That is a great  reason for making a map.  Let us know what else we can do.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Dean

The DSL download issue has been resolved. My DSL speed was a ridicules 327 kbps. But get this we were paying ATT for 1.5 mbps!!! They will be raising the speed to 1.5 that should take care of the slow download speed and maybe I can get the contour file faster and so be more do-able.

-Oz-

Quote from: Dean on February 17, 2009, 10:34:20 AM
The DSL download issue has been resolved. My DSL speed was a ridicules 327 kbps. But get this we were paying ATT for 1.5 mbps!!! They will be raising the speed to 1.5 that should take care of the slow download speed and maybe I can get the contour file faster and so be more do-able.
I am about to call AT&T too; i pay for 2mbps and up until this week was getting it; now i'm locked in just like you...  Like I wouldn't notice...
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!