GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mapsource to Basecamp info

Started by woodstramp, April 15, 2011, 02:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodstramp

When I first came here to try the maps your tutorial recommened using a certain version of Mapsource (link was available here).   

What I'd like to know is are the maps here for use in BasecamP also now?  Also, will I have to reload downloaded maps that are already on my version of Mapsource to the new Basemap program?  Thanks.

Seldom

I, and lots of others here, were using MapSource before BaseCamp came out.  I just downloaded it and installed it, and all the stuff I had installed from my old MapSource installation now shows up in both.

maps4gps

Garmin developed BaseCamp because they said they could not modify MapSource  to use their new Birdseye data.  Installing a mapset makes changes to the computer's registry; which is Garmin's way of providing information to either program on how to access the data.  Neither program will be able to find the mapsets if you change the folder the data is in; the links to each mapset in the registry need to be changed and the safest way to do this is to uninstall each mapset and then change the default location during the install process. 

Boyd

Quote from: maps4gps on April 15, 2011, 04:40:18 PM
Garmin developed BaseCamp because they said they could not modify MapSource  to use their new Birdseye data.

Are you sure about that? Basecamp was first introduced at CES in January 2009. Birdseye wasn't announced until CES 2010, a full year later. At the Basecamp introduction, Garmin said

Quote"BaseCamp brings a whole new set of features to hikers, hunters, geocachers, and anyone else who wants to maximize their experience with their Garmin GPS," said Dan Bartel, Garmin's vice president of worldwide sales.  "This new utility lets users view, organize, and transfer their data more quickly and efficiently – allowing them to make the most of their time exploring the great outdoors."

BaseCamp lets users view both 24K and 100K topo maps in 2D or 3D renderings.  Users no longer are confined with a "north up" map – it can be rotated to any orientation.  Another convenient window depicts the elevation profile currently displayed.  And with Track Draw, users can trace a fluid track and get an immediate elevation profile to determine the difficulty of their hike.

Because a picture is worth a thousand words, BaseCamp supports geotagging of user-generated photos, to know exactly what the scenery is like at any given location – simply click on a map icon to view an enlarged version of a photo.  Users can even view their data in Google Earth.  The growing legions of Geocachers will also find utility in BaseCamp – the utility fully supports all of the information presented on geocaching.com

maps4gps

???  Foot in mouth again - glad I keep them washed.

What I was thinking of ware the numerous posts on forums.groundspeak and elsewhere were the posters saw no reason why Garmin could not have modified the MapSource program to preform the same way rather than creating a new program (BaseCamp) and ending further development of MapSource.   If the opinion of those posters were correct, my statement should have been 'could not modify MapSource to include the capabilities programed into BaseCamp'

Boyd

Yeah, the whole thing is a little bewildering. I got the idea they wanted to differentiate their "outdoor" product line with special software. Of course, Birdseye fits into that very nicely.

Somehow, I don't see them pushing owners of Nuvi's towards Basecamp. But they are pushing owners of the new handhelds there, because Mapsource cannot properly transfer waypoints with models like the Oregon 450 and GPSMap 62 because they are no longer stored in a single file.

woodstramp

Quote from: seldom_sn on April 15, 2011, 03:27:11 PM
I, and lots of others here, were using MapSource before BaseCamp came out.  I just downloaded it and installed it, and all the stuff I had installed from my old MapSource installation now shows up in both.

Thanks.  Can you tell if there is a way to print maps with coordinate grid lines?  In another thread here someone mentioned that you could make map prints with UTM or Lat/Lon....I assumed this was for gridding on prints.  I never could find a way to do that in Mapsource.