GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Sooooo Lost with this stuff y'all...

Started by Sheley44, February 22, 2011, 05:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheley44

I guess I'm just not technical enough to understand all this stuff. I really am desperate for some trails that I could download to my Colorado 400t for the Pisgah National Forest: Specifically trails around and or near Linville Gorge. I have no clue how to down, up or sideways load anything onto my Garmin. All I know is that I have a cord that connects my computer to my Garmin and that's about it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP me get on some trails to enjoy this new found love for hiking!

Desperate and Grateful! -Mike

jbensman

The FS only has GPSed trail data for the system trails in the Pisgah.  They are in the process of GPSing the non system trails.  So while My Trails has the system trails in Pisgah, it does not have the non system trails.   The download page for My Trails has a link to a tutorial on how to install the maps.

Sore Feet

Sheley44,
  I feel your pain and am glad you share my world.  My uninformed opinion is that you subscribe to the Birdseye thingy where you get airial photos.  But what do I know...

jbensman

I just discovered I have some major problems with the Pisgah and hope to have it fixed soon.  I think the Forest Service gave me roads not trails.  I'm not exactly sure, but the data is messed up.  I've emailed the FS and hopefully I will get the correct data.  I also found some nice data on thier ftp site that has waterfalss, vistas, campsites, water sources, shelters, parking, and some other stuff.  Look for the next update to My Trails which should have all the new data and the trails fixed.

kurtisk

If you have installed the Garmin MapSource program, it will connect through the cable to your GPS.  If you go to http://www.linvillegorge.net you can find their full master map of linville gorge trails in the forums section (I think you have to register) (http://www.linvillegorge.net/smf/index.php?topic=353.0).  They have a garmin .gdb file that will open directly in MapSource and can be 'sent' to the GPS.