GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Dakota 20 Bought on Ebay

Started by Yenalom, April 08, 2011, 06:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yenalom

I have just bought a Dakota 20 on EBAY. The GPSr came with no maps or any software.

I tried to register the unit with GARMIN and found (not surprised) that it was already registered. I have emailed them to find out how get around that.

Regarding maps, I have several Garmin Custom maps and have placed them in the \Garmin\CustomMap folders both in memory and on the microSD card. I expected that one would show up when I  locked on to satellites. This did not happen. The track appeared on a blank screen.

I did save the track and it appears to be accurate when I open it in other software.

How do I get my custom maps to show up on the screen?

All help is appreciated.

Bob M

Boyd

I think you are out of luck when it comes to getting support for a unit purchased on ebay..

Support
Frequently Asked Questions

« Get additional answers from Garmin

Does Garmin have authorized dealers selling on eBay?

10/23/2009

Garmin does not have any authorized dealers that sell new products directly on online auction sites. Any purchases made through online auction sites are on a "buyer beware" basis. A copy of the original sales receipt is required as the proof of purchase for warranty repairs. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

There is always the possibility that products purchased through eBay or other online auction sites could be stolen merchandise. You assume this risk when you buy through these auction sites.

You will need to have the seller send you his original receipt that shows he purchased the unit from an authorized dealer... good luck with that.

Regarding the custom map, the folder must be named CustomMaps. Your post said "CustomMap" without the "s". Or was that just a typo? If so, there are many reasons why a custom map might not work and we would need to know a lot more before helping.

Indrid Cold

As far as registration, it seems the unit is linked to the seller's "My Garmin" account. Contact the seller and ask them to remove that unit from their account and then you will be able to add it to yours.

Yenalom

Thanks for the replies.

I think I am out of the woods. I will contact the seller and ask him to remove his ownership from the Garmin file.

As far as the Custom Maps problem, I don't think the problem exists after all. Since the unit has no maps, I tried to create a map of my neighborhood using MOBAC. I suceeded and did place it in the CUSTOMMAPS folder (the correct folder). I could not see it on the GPSr. I posted here. I then downloaded the NY State Topo from this organization and used Basecamp to install parts of it (NY metropolitan area)b on the unit. That worked fine and the tracks appeared on the map. I then disabled that map and enabled the Custommaps and that worked. Not as well as the map I had downloaded primarily because of the zoom levels I chose.

Thanks again for the help.

Bob M

MoabUT

Quote from: Indrid Cold on April 08, 2011, 07:23:06 AM
As far as registration, it seems the unit is linked to the seller's "My Garmin" account. Contact the seller and ask them to remove that unit from their account and then you will be able to add it to yours.
Thank you for this post, it saved me from buying on ebay. I thought it would be safe since It was NEW still in box.
Thanks again.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: MoabUT on February 25, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
Quote from: Indrid Cold on April 08, 2011, 07:23:06 AM
Thank you for this post, it saved me from buying on ebay. I thought it would be safe since It was NEW still in box.
Thanks again.
A "New in box" receiver should not have been registered yet, he bought a used one.

omegaman

I've purchased many units on eBay with no issues. If it's a used Garmin item you must simply ask if it has been registered, and if they can take their name off of it on the Garmin registration site. When that is done, you can register it to your name.
No real issue at all, if you ask the question.
You must be aware though that some maps that might be for sale, may already be registered to a Garmin unit, and you will not be able to put them on your Garmin unit.
As before, ask the question. If they are legit, they will give you an answer. And always, if you buy, and it doesn't work correctly, you can file for a refund. If your complaint is genuine, you'll get your money back.

MoabUT

Quote from: omegaman on February 26, 2012, 07:54:18 AM
I've purchased many units on eBay with no issues. If it's a used Garmin item you must simply ask if it has been registered, and if they can take their name off of it on the Garmin registration site. When that is done, you can register it to your name.
No real issue at all, if you ask the question.
You must be aware though that some maps that might be for sale, may already be registered to a Garmin unit, and you will not be able to put them on your Garmin unit.
As before, ask the question. If they are legit, they will give you an answer. And always, if you buy, and it doesn't work correctly, you can file for a refund. If your complaint is genuine, you'll get your money back.
What would you use for a receipt if you needed to get warranty work done? "A copy of the original sales receipt is required as the proof of purchase for warranty repairs. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction"

omegaman

Buying used on eBay is the same as buying used anywhere else. I've rarely heard of any warranty being transferred with any used electronic device anywhere!
There are authorized dealers of Garmin devices on eBay that sell new units, and they will provide a hardcopy receipt with the purchase. PayPal also offers printable receipts for purchases paid through them.
If you are familiar with Garmin, then you know that they support new items that are registered, and will sometimes give or offer support, even on a used item. They also have flat rate repairs for any of their current items, even if they are used.
As I said before, I have purchased over 10 units (both new & used) through eBay, with no problems.

EagleBoy

I guess there could be some decent deals on Fleabay, but new Dakota 20's are routinely on  sale for less than $200 NIB and full mfg. warranty.

Yenalom

Well, I just looked here and noticed that my original post of a year ago has risen from the dead.

I want to let you all know that I am very happy with my DAKOTA 20, with EBAY ,with the seller from whom I purchased the unit and with this forum.

Over the years I have purchased a few things through Ebay and have always been satisfied.