News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Question about maps

Started by Bullie, April 04, 2011, 05:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullie

Hi everyone.  New to the board.

I recently purchased a Garmin Astro 220.  I downloaded a couple of maps from this site onto my computer and then copied them to my sd card.  My gps isn't displaying any alternate maps that I can find, only the original basic map. 

Likely the map files aren't installed.  I have no clue as how to do that.  Do I install on the compter then load to the card?  Is there some way to install the files on the gps from the card?  Help!!!

Thanks

Boyd

Do you have mapsource or basecamp installed on your computer? You will need one of these programs to display the maps on your computer, and they are also used to send maps to your gps. Tell us more about exactly what you did and we can help.

You can't just copy the files to the SD card. What are the names of the files that you copied to the card?

Bullie

Ok.  I did what you suspected.  I loaded the maps directly on the card.  Now, we BOTH know that won't work.  Yes I have base map loaded.  I am trying to load the SE USA map.

Boyd

Do you mean Basecamp? Base Map is something else.  :)

Follow the instructions in this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Bullie

Yes, basecamp.  Garmin guy told me I really didn't need it.  Seems that is not the case.  I got it loaded and hopefully both of the maps I tried.  I have to learn how to switch from map to map.  It seems like they should include this software with the device.  I am told that Garmin used to ship the Astro with Map Source.

Boyd

They used to include "Trip and Waypoint Manager" with all their handhelds. It's a stripped down Mapsource that only includes a rough basemap. I think they stopped doing this, since anyone can download the software from their site.

If you have already installed Basecamp and would like Mapsource, just download and install it here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Bullie

Is Map Source a better or more useful program?

Boyd

It is just "different", neither better nor worse. It allows you to download BirdsEye aerial imagery, but that is not supported on your Astro so no advantage there. It can also read maps directly from Garmin pre-loaded data cards and devices (like the City Navigator map loaded on a Nuvi). That won't have much value for you either. It can provide 3d views if using real Garmin topo maps, but again, no advantage there. There are a variety of other features aimed at outdoor vs vehicle use.

Mapsource is a bit more stable and time-tested. Give it a try and see which you prefer. Both programs will access the same maps that you have installed.

Bullie

Sounds good.  Thanks for your help. 

Bullie

I overwrote the Mississippi map with the SE US map.   :-[   Major bummer. 

Boyd

Since the Astro is an older design, it can only access one map file (gmapsupp.img). Therefore, everytime you send a map to the device it will replace whatever was previously loaded there.

To use more than one map, you need to select all of them with the map tool in mapsource and send them as one bundle. See this tutorial and note item #8 which says to repeat steps 2 through 7 in order to send more than one map. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Bullie

If I load the maps to the card with it in the computer or a reader can I load more than one map?

Boyd

Sure, mapsource will send the file to either a card reader or the card inside the unit. You choose the destination in the "Send To Device" dialog box.

Bullie

Thanks again for your help.

From experience, if you are using basecamp and try to load a second map while the card is in the Astro, the second map overwrites the first.

Seldom

Quote from: Bullie on April 06, 2011, 09:45:17 AM
From experience, if you are using basecamp and try to load a second map while the card is in the Astro, the second map overwrites the first.

That's because the Astro can only accept a single map file called gmapsupp.IMG.  However, using either BaseCamp or MapSource, you can combine a large number of map tiles from different map products into that single file.  For instance, you can load some tiles from City Navigator and a transparent topo overlay for those tiles (different products here) into the same gmapsupp.IMG.