GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

in need of some advice

Started by shec6135, March 29, 2011, 05:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shec6135

i know there's a search function, but i don't know what i'm looking at so i wouldn't know what to search for to find my answer, answers greatly appreciated!

i have a couple different areas i've been scouting making tracks and setting waypoints, today is the first day i've transferred my waypoints and track from my device to my computer.

when i transferred them everythings all and good but they are all connected by red lines that are (as the crow flies) straight from one set of tracks/waypoints to the next. i have always turned off my gps in between these places i don't know how they've become connected at all... my question is how do i get rid of these lines seeing as they are useless (some of my tracks are an hour and a half drive from one another) and a straight line from one to the other would only be a good thing if i had a plane and there were runways at each location.lol

thanks in advance! -shaun ???

eaparks

To keep from having the straight line connecting your tracks you need to save each individual track once you have completed it.  After having saved your 1st track on your GPS then you need to clear the Current Track Log.  Continue the same procedure for each new track.  Unless you clear the Current Track Log every track will be connected.

Mapsource does a good job of track editing where you can cut the straight lines out of your exisiting track and save each track individually.  Save the file and send it back to your GPS corrected like you want it.

shec6135

so after making a track i should save it to my computer, delete it from my gps, then re-send it to my gps unit to keep from ending up with the straight lines connecting the different tracks? how do you edit out the straight lines using mapsource?

eaparks

Quote from: shec6135 on March 29, 2011, 11:45:14 PM
so after making a track i should save it to my computer, delete it from my gps, then re-send it to my gps unit to keep from ending up with the straight lines connecting the different tracks? how do you edit out the straight lines using mapsource?
I was only saying what you said above as a way to clean up the single long track with straight lines in it, which you don't want, and to get the individual tracks where you can use them individually.  You only need to save the tracks to your computer if you want to back them up, or make changes to them on your PC, or for making a custom map, or to keep from cluttering up your "Track Manager" with a lot of tracks you would seldom use but want to keep.

The 1st paragraph in my previous post is what you need to do on your GPS to have the tracks without the lines connecting 1 track to another.

Mapsource is fairly straight forward.  To edit your tracks in it:  1.  Expand the left side of Mapsource on you PC screen to show the Maps, Waypoints, Tracks, and Routes buttons.  2. Open the Tracks button to display your tracks.  3. Highlight the track you want to  modify and it will turn yellow on screen.  4. Display all toolbars in Mapsource and one button will be "Track Divide Tool", use it and click on your track wherever you want to divide it and rename the tracks.

shec6135

when i go to the tracks menu it has the option to turn track log on/off, four different options: setup, save, clear, and tracback, then underneath these four options it has all my saved tracks.

when i go to setup it shows a box i can check or uncheck that reads "wrap when full", underneath that it has record method, next it has the intervals of distance, the color of the track, then lastly it has the data card setup:which gives you the option to log tracks to data card, shows you % used, and a button that says delete all which is above all my gpx files.

so i can turn tracks on or off but cannot replace continuation with start. and if i clear the track log after saving my track how won't this erase the track i just saved?? thanks again -shaun

eaparks

When you save the "Current Track" on your GPS it is saved as a named track (a name you can give it) and will be displayed in the "Saved Tracks" box.  Then you can "Clear" the "Track Log" and you won't erase the track you just saved and named and is listed in the "Saved Tracks" box.

Since you haven't said exactly which model GPS your are using; Etrex, 60 or 76 series, the following weblink is a pretty good souce of useful "how to" information for the 60CSx and will also apply to the Etrex models and 76 series. http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/g60csx/  The category on tracks may clear up some of your questions.

shec6135

thanks eaparks, i appreciate it!

jbensman

Asmentioned above, you have not said what kind of GPS you have.  Different models work differently.  For example, the OR does not do what you describe.  But here is what it sounds like you need to do (if you don't want to edit it in MapSource):

1) Save the track.

2) Clear the track

3) Record the next track

4) Save the track with a different name

5) Clear * * * *