GPSFileDepot.com

Loading maps on 60 csx from mapsoure w/ waypoints

Started by Charliebuck, March 20, 2011, 08:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charliebuck

Hi, I downloaded some maps from this site to map source and created some waypoints, when I transfer them to my gps will they also be there?

Also I read somewhere on this forum, and now I can't find it, that if I add maps to this unit I have to transfer all of the maps that were there previously transferred again, or they won't show up. Is that correct?

eaparks

To 1st question:  Yes, normally what you'd do is to highlight the map tiles of the map you down loaded... create your waypoints you also want... save the file in Mapsource.... transfer to GPS, chekcing both boxes: Maps and Waypoints and all will be sent to your GPS.

To 2nd question:  Yes, what you read is correct.  Here is what takes place.  When maps are transferred to the 60CSx the maps are written to a file called "gmapsupp.img"  which your GPS reads to display the maps you transferred.  Each and every time you transfer more maps to your 60CSx the exisiting gmapsupp.img file is over-written thus deleting eveything in it.  So, yes you have to transfer all maps together in one file that you want on your GPS.

shec6135

eaparks, not to hijack this man's thread but i also have the 60csx and was wondering about this 2nd question as well...

i downloaded NE topo part 3, but only uploaded ohio to my 60csx before making tracks and setting waypoints. are you saying that if i re sent ohio, pennsylvania, and west virginia that i would delete my current tracks and waypoints? -shaun

MichaelJ07

Quote from: shec6135 on March 29, 2011, 06:00:22 PM
eaparks, not to hijack this man's thread but i also have the 60csx and was wondering about this 2nd question as well...

i downloaded NE topo part 3, but only uploaded ohio to my 60csx before making tracks and setting waypoints. are you saying that if i re sent ohio, pennsylvania, and west virginia that i would delete my current tracks and waypoints? -shaun

I don't think the tracks and waypoints are deleted when you add a new mapset.  When I put in a new map series, my waypoints and tracks are still there.  Just viewed with a different map.

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

eaparks

Sending more maps to your GPS will not affect your exisiting waypoints or tracks already on your GPS.  If you are not sending any new tracks or waypoints that are not already on your GPS then don't check the boxes for "tracks" or "waypoints".  

edit:  tracks, routes, and waypoints are not stored on the memory card but are stored in the GPS's memory.  There is an exception with the tracks, you can set the GPS to save the tracks to the memory card in addition to the internal memory.  Yes, you are saving the tracks to 2 different locations.  The purpose of saving them to the memory card is if you want a very detailed track for viewing or creating maps at a later time on your PC.  A track saved to the memory card is saved with more information than a track that is saved to the GPS but you can only view it on your PC.