GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Beta software

Started by Indrid Cold, March 18, 2011, 08:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indrid Cold

Anyone use the beta unit softwares??? This one increases BirdsEye numbers...

Oregon x50 software version 4.49 Beta: link

GPSMAP 62/78 software version 2.95 Beta: link

lilricky

Unless the beta firmware adds something that you need right then, or if you would like to help Garmin test firmware, then no, you shouldn't use it.  Beta firmware can brick your unit, and by downloading the beta firmware you are agreeing to not blame Garmin for bricking your unit.  That being said, I use beta firmware and send Garmin user reports, because I believe it will help the rest of the Garmin community.

tato

I've just installed my first beta, the latest Oregon x50.  I was tempted by the 'improved GPS performance' listings in the changelog.  Been only a short time, but I haven't seen any bugs and comparing old and new tracks the GPS does seem to be more accurate.  Nothing major, but nice to see.

jbensman

I used to be eager to try out the beta-particularly when there were new features.  But after the last couple of 0r 50 betas, I have stopped.  I'll wait for the non beta unless there is something realy nice.  I tried the previous beta and WAAS would not work.  It also suddenly kept showing my position about 500 feet from where I was.  I went back to the last  non beta. 

foresterscott01

I've been using 4.45 for the past few weeks on my 550 with no problems.

Scott

tato

Been on 4.47 on the 450t for a week now.  Has worked very well, only noticed one bug.  As I was approaching my destination once the distance only flipped between 44 and 45 feet, regardless of direction or distance I walked.  Cleared the problem by pulling/reinstalling the batts.
Looking forward to another beta or the gold release.

Boyd

There was some discussion that the new software for the x50 series now allows 200 .jpg files to be used for custom (.kmz) maps. This has not been documented in the Garmin changelog. Have any of you attempted to create a custom map with over 100 tiles, and does it work? In another thread, an Oregon x00 user said he still gets an error when using over 100 tiles.

Indrid Cold

Looks like Garmin released some new betas yesterday

tato

Quote from: Indrid Cold on April 29, 2011, 08:25:38 AM

Will install after work.
Hoping in the "Fixed issues relating to WAAS performance."

babj615

Quote from: tato on April 29, 2011, 09:05:25 AM

Will install after work.
Hoping in the "Fixed issues relating to WAAS performance."

Same Here! Finally some good weather this weekend to get out and test for Garmin!
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

tato

4.49 has been working great for me.  First time I've ever gotten a WAAS lock.
Walking around reported accuracies have improved noticeably as well as true distances to previous noted waypoints dramatically reduced.