GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Maps For 78s

Started by Theregulator, March 10, 2011, 10:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theregulator

I have Garmins 78S handheld. It comes with a basemap but no other maps. I got it primarily as a handheld for fishing, but since I have it it would be nice to have routable maps for auto as well. I have been succesfull creating custom maps for areas I fish, so for now am content with that. I am considering purchasing City Navigator and have a few questions. First should I buy the DVD, Download, or get the chip? Secondly which may help to answer the first question. Once I have City Nav on the GPS would I later be able to add On the water maps? So I guess I would not be able to have two chips in at one time. Can I install both DVDS at one time? Can I download both to the GPS? Is this do-able to have both? How should I do that? 

Boyd

The specs say that your 78s has 1.7GB internal memory, so you will have a variety of options.

If you purchase the SD card version of City Navigator, it can be used in any Garmin GPS. It will use hardware copy protection however, so you can't copy the card. You cannot add any other maps to a card like this, but you could add them to your internal memory.

If you purchase either the download or DVD version, the map will become permanently locked to your 78s and cannot be installed on a different unit.

With the DVD version, all the files are first installed on your computer and you use either Mapsource or basecamp to transfer as much or as little of the map as you like to your GPS (to either internal memory or a card). Since the files are installed on your computer, you can use the map there for trip planning.

With the download and SD card versions, no files are installed on your computer and you cannot use Mapsource to view the map. However you can use Basecamp to view the map and plan trips on your computer, as long as the card containing the map is in a USB reader connected to the computer (or the GPS itself).

Theregulator

Boyd,

Thank you that clarifies alot. One thing I am still not sure on though. Can I have two different map sources loaded onto the GPS at one time. It seems like I remember reading somewhere (and I forget the file ext name) that you could only have one on the GPS at a time.

Boyd

You have a new model, and it can contain multiple map files. Older models were hardwired for a single, specific filename.

Theregulator

That helps a ton, should just be a matter of preference then.

Thanks Again
Mike

Theregulator

I ordered the SD card. Thanks again for your help.

Theregulator

I received the SD card yesterday. At first glance I thought I was going to be sending the chip back as it appeared to be the wrong size. After further inspection it comes with a micro SD chip and A larger adapter. I did not need the adapter. I put the chip in the Garmin 78s and was up and running, no other needs. Everything worked as expected and within minutes was able to create routes. I created a route to work and followed it in this moring. My original concern was that since the 78s is designed for marine use I would not be prompted for turn by turn instructions. I was happy to find that even though it does not give voice instructions it 'beeped' when I was approaching a turn and the turn instructions are displayed on the top of the unit. Seems perfect for my needs.

Thanks Boyd.