GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

free maps for gpsmap 60scx

Started by bjw444mar, March 08, 2011, 07:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjw444mar

I'm new here and this might be a little long so bear with me.  I bought a 60scx last week for the main purpose of fishing in lakes and rivers in Idaho and Washington.  The base map has a terrrible rendering of details of bodies of water so through trial and error I managed to download an  Idaho, Washington and NW USA topos into mapsourse and loaded and reloaded the various maps on my gps.  The problem I'm having is after I load the laps into my gps everything looks ok but when I zoom into different lakes I lose the colors of the water on the map.  The Washington topo did it on Lake Roosevelt and the NW USA topo does it on Lake CDA and on Potholes Res.  There will be blocks of map that the blue color of the water just disappears and you can't tell what is water and what is land.  I zoomed in on Mapsourse on the computer and everything looks fine but on the gps it is all screwed up.  Does anybody have any idea what is going on and if I can fix this?  It seems that of the 3 maps that I downloaded each one has something that has goes wacky when I zoom in.  HELP!!

Brian

eaparks

Try this setting in your GPS, if you haven't already:  Main Menu > Setup > Map > Scroll across top of screen to highlight the "anchor" symbol > and set "Marine Colors" to "Off".  This will make bodies of water on the 60CSx appear blue in color on Garmin's maps; with it set to "On" larger bodies of water will appear white with a blue outline.  This may be affecting those custom maps.

Have you turned off all other maps on the GPS except for the ones in question?

If neither of the above correct it, it could be a problem with the maps themselves on the draw order of the polygons (bodies of water)... something the author of the map would have to fix.

bjw444mar

I played with the marine colors setting and saw that the colors went away when it was on so it is off right now.  I have a 1GB card in it and the only map I have loaded on it right now is the NW USA topo and of course the base map on the unit itself.  On the map settings when I change the amount of details that I want to show it makes a difference but it just changes at what zoom level that the color of the water disappears at. 

maps4gps

Does this still happen with the built-in base map turned off ?
I would use the WA & ID topos and not the NW USA one.

bjw444mar

yes I turned off the basemap and it still does it.  I had the individual maps loaded first, that is when I first seen this happen, it was on Lake Roosevelt that the water would disappear when I zoomed in.  I've tried downloading the NW topo map to try that one but after about 2/3 of it is loaded into mapsource I get an error message that the file is corrupted and couldn't finish.

maps4gps

Try doing a 'factory' reset.  New owners commonly try different settings and some combinations cause issues.  Besides the marine colors setting, set day/night mode to day - the auto mode will change to night colors based on the time of day (for the time zome you have the GPSr set for) and has caused unexpected results when using the unit indoors.
Also check for existing tracks.  There was a recent post about a 'new' unit with issues.  It was found to have month old tracks from another part of the country and may have be sold to him as new instead of being returned to Garmin as defective.  Whom did you purchase the unit from?

bjw444mar

I bought if off ebay NIB and there was one waypoint in Kansas.  I've erased all tracks and any waypoints that were in it and also did the "restore all defaults" and no change.  I've had the daytime setting on auto and daytime only and no change.  With just the base map open it works fine and the blue water color doesn't disappear when you zoom in so it has to have something to do with the download process...I think.

maps4gps

With over 8,700 downloads over the past 2 1/3 years and no issues I can remember, I would guess it to be an issue with the unit.  I think we have cover the obvious.  Unfortunately Garmin will not talk to you about issues with non-Garmin software.   Try downloading the lastest firmware/software for that unit from Garmin's website.  Even new units from major sellers can be 2 or 3 versions old and some of the updates have had bugs in them. 

FYI - the other person's issue was solved with a redownload of the mapset he was interested in.  
That would not be the issue here if it is working properly in MapSource.

bjw444mar

I found out from a buddy at work today that he has a gpsmap 60 csx and he has a garmin topo CD that he is going to bring to work and I'm going to download that to see if it is my unit or just what in the heck is going on.  I'll let you know what I find out, thank you for all your help.

FYI the mapsourse CD that came with the unit was the "trip and Waypoint manager" version so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Brian

eaparks

Hi maps4gps, I thought it sounds a lot like a draw priority error with the polygon for the lake because in bjw444mar's 5th posts it sounds like he is saying Lake Rossevelt (the water) appears properly until he gets zoomed in to a certain level and then he no longer sees water but land.  Or, maybe the levels were not added in succession from each previous level created, thus creating the zoom draw levels out of order.

Several years ago Cypherman and I were talking when he first wrote his MapSetToolKit and made it public, he was commenting that you can very easily screw up a map when you start changing draw orders.  For this very reason I try to avoid doing much with draw priority orders in my maps, so I'm definitely not an expert on them.  Just wondered what your thoughts were on it.

It would be interesting to know exactly what someone else is seeing on their GPS for this same Lake Rossevelt location.

maps4gps

eaparks -
Could be.  Each of the three maps here mentioned was created by a different map author, 2 to 2 1/2 years ago and has been download 7,000 to 9,000.  I would think a draw priority issue would have been noted before now.  Zoom levels have to be in succession or cgpsmapper will not process the file.
A few weeks ago I was testing adding place (city, etc.) polygons to my mapsets.  They were drawing after the ocean polygons; however, this was at all zoom levels.  Things can appear odd when zooming across the biuilt-in basemap / added mapset boundary; however, he mentioned turning off the basemap did not help.

bjw444mar-
MapSource is part of Trip and Waypoint Manager.  Garmin is located in Olathe, KS - that waypoint may have been left on from some testing of the units they to there.

bjw444mar

maps4gps,
yea that waypoint was called Garmin so it must have been the factory location, they probably put it in all their gps'.  My buddy brought his cd to work today so I'm going to load that on my gps and see what it looks like.  I'll keep you posted

bjw444mar

Well I loaded my buddies topo USA 2008 from Garmin at work today and everthing seems to be fine on various lakes that I zoomed in on.  So now I'll go home and reinstall it on my computer at home to see if it works from there also to make sure it isn't some kind of bug within my computer.

bjw444mar

I reloaded the topo usa 2008 from my home computer and everything looks fine when I pan around the map and zoom in on various areas.  Although I'm not as impressed with the details in the map as much as the other topos. I live in the mountains and it doesn't show all the logging roads and trails like the other ones do.  Now that I know it isn't my unit or my computer I may try to delete the software and reload everything and try it again.

maps4gps

Try contacting the map author of the WA topo.  He has not posted since June, 2009, so may not be interested in map authoring anylonger.