GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map Combinations and the 60Csx

Started by FormulaJay, March 07, 2011, 01:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FormulaJay

I apologize if this question has been answered before.

I am looking at purchasing a GPS unit for handheld use and use on my motorcycle. The 60Csx appears to have all the features that I need while also having proved itself as a reliable, accurate, durable device.

What I am trying to find out is if the 60Csx will allow me to load multiple maps into one map file. I know that the 60Csx can only read one map file on a card, but would I be able to load that map file with the road navigation data along with topographic data?

I plan to use the device most heavily for navigation while touring on my motorcycle which involves a lot of camping. I would need the device to be able to display the road data but also the topography at the same time. I know that I am limited, with the 60Csx, to 2025 map segments, but is it safe to assume that, using the road and topo(~24k) files on gpsfiledepot, that I would be able to fit at least 5 states on a card?

I have downloaded the manual for the 60Csx from Garmin's website and on page 45 it does seem to confirm that you can turn the display of maps on and off but the small image shows only one map. I also tried to download MapSource but I must have it already installed, and since I do not have the unit yet I can not try it.

Once again, sorry if this is a redundant question. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

FormulaJay

I may have posted too soon. I have found information that confirms that MapSource lets you select sections of different maps to have rendered into one map file for the 60Csx.

It would still be helpful, however, to get an idea of how much area(roads and topo) can fit in 2025 segments.

Seldom

My last year's copy of City Navigator NA NT has 128 segments and 1.14GB when all segments are selected, but IIRC Garmin's Topo 2008 had more than 2025 map segments.  Also there is a 4 GB limit for older units like the 60CSX.  Newer Units like the OR, DK, and 62/78 series can handle more memory and raster graphics.

FormulaJay

Oh ok thanks.

Do you happen to know how many more segments the newer units can handle?

I have read that the newer units can "see" more than one map img file on a card. Can each of those map img files have the max number of segments or is the unit limited to a certain number of segments without regard to the number of map img files?

maps4gps

The number of segments is a limit of the software/firmware on the GPSr unit.
The 'newer' units have a limit about 4000 (total usable).  With these units you can also rename the gmapsupp.img file which MapSource/BaseCamp sends to the unit or micro memory card.   This makes it much much easier to add/delete/change what it on the unit/memory card.  On the 'older' units everything has to be in one gmapsupp.img file - the only way to change its contents is to rebuild it through MS/BC and send a new/replacement file to the GPSr/memory card.

What the file size may be for an area depends on the area, the detail of the data and how many different types of data is included.  A 'ball park' figure for mapsets available here would be 5 to 30% more than the listed size of the .exe file. 

FormulaJay

So the limit of segments on the newer ones are fixed at 4000?

That is one .img file of 4000 segments or 10 .img files of 400 segments each, but not 10 .img files of 4000 segments?

Also, is there a way to render/build a .img file in MapSource and then save it to transfer to the GPSr at a later date?

Boyd

The new units (Oregon, Dakota, Colorado, GPSMap 62) can access a total of 4000 segments on the entire device, regardless of what file they are in.

For some reason, Garmin has changed the software (bug or "feature"?) such that a single file containing multiple maps doesn't work correctly on these new models. You need to place different maps in separate files or you cannot individually select them.

US Top 2008 (US topo 100k) contains about 6,600 segments so there is no way to load the DVD version onto any Garmin unit at the same time. However if you purchase the preloaded data card or downloadable version, it has been crammed into something like 150 segments and will work fine.

On the older units like 60csx, this means that you cannot use the download or memory card version along with other maps at the same time, because you cannot modify the gmapsupp.img file. You will have to either physically swap memory cards or use the DVD version and only load part of the US.

Another approach might be to use Garmin's 24k topo maps because they have the same Navteq routable roads and POI's as City Navigator. You will have to look and see how many different regions you'd need to buy. For the 60csx, you would want the DVD versions so they could be combined.

You can send the mapsource file to a USB flash drive, or any removable media. Then copy it to a folder on your computer for future use. There is also a program named SendMap20 that is a free download at cgpsmapper.com. It lets you build gmapsupp.img files and save them on your computer if you prefer.

maps4gps

For the 60csx the limit would be 2025 segments in a single gmapsupp.img file.
For the 'newer' units the limit would be 4000 segments total in one or more files.  There was a recent post saying that the units seam to have a limit of 200 files.
You can build and send it to a memory card or thumb drive.  It does not work sending it directly to a hard drive.  You can transfer it from the memory card or thumb drive to a hard drive - then transfer it 'back' to the memory card at a later time.  You can also have MapSource save the information on which mapsets and which segments in each mapset were selected then access that file at a later time to make changes/updates without having to reselect everthing from each mapset.

maps4gps

Boyd, is that a new record?  Our posts differed by only 11 seconds.

Boyd

Haha, I just went back and added something I forgot.  ;D