GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Replace my Magellan 315 ?

Started by Boats5, March 05, 2011, 03:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boats5

Am going to retire the Magellan. It's been a back up and travel GPS. Use it a fair amount when hunting canoeing etc.  Have gone to Garmins for my small fishing skiff and larger boat 168 Map Sounder and Map 400 series both combo GPS/Sounders.  I do like all the nav screens on the Magellan.  Want to gain a good base map and ability to load others like the Oregon. Micro SD is the way I want to go.

Is the Oregon the one to have ?  Before it came out was thinking about the 72/76 series. Only thing about the Garmin 400 is lack of trip odometer average speed and all the other nav screens the Magellan or the older Garman 168 has.  It has great charts and sounder.

All advice appreciated

Boats

Boyd

Oregon 450 is on sale at Cabella's for $250 now - lowest price we've seen since the holidays. This is the trip computer screen on the Oregon. It is completely configurable - touch any field on the screen and you can choose the data that you want displayed from a long list of options.

If you like Magellan, they have just come out with a whole new line of eXplorist models. They look very nice on paper, and have gotten at least one positive review that I've seen. In the past, poor customer support has soured a number of people on Magellan however.

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/eXploristseries

The maps available on this site only work on Garmin units.

Boyd

LOL... no signal inside my house when I quickly fired it up.  ;D

maps4gps

;)You move around you house quickly.

Boyd

In tunnels 700 feet underground.  8)

Boats5

Thanks thats what I wanted to see.  Customer Service is the reason I am going Garmin.  My Map 168 sits outside on a 17 foot skiff all the time it's 9 years old. Display went bad last year and Garmin has a flat rate repair price.  99 dollars as I recal.  Turned the unit in less than a week and transfered all my waypoints.

That's good service

I know the 72- 76 units several friends have them as primary and back up's Think I will see if I can look at a Oregon in person this weekend

Boats

Boyd

You could also look at the 78 series, which is an update to the 76 and adds some nice features like triaxial compass, Birdseye aerial imagery, custom (raster) maps, paperless geocaching, etc: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=161&compareProduct=63603&compareProduct=63602&compareProduct=63601

Boats5

Choice is between the 72-76- 78 series and the Dakota - Orgeon models.  the 70's are like what I am used too but may want to go for a touch screen unit.

Only think I am real intested in is the ablity to load maps off a SD card & sync with my laptop. Both seem to do that just fine ?

Boats