GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Projecting a waypoint

Started by pounder67, February 28, 2011, 05:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pounder67

I know how to project a waypoint.  I have an Oregon.  Let's say, I have 2 waypoints away from where I'm at currently.  Is there a way to find the distance and bearing between the two points?  The closest I can figure it out is to create a new route.  This gives me the distance between the two points, but not the bearing.  Any thoughts?

Boyd

Not sure if I understand....

You could project waypoint #1 relative to your current position. Then you could go into simulation mode (can't remember, may be call Demo Mode on the Oregon?) and set your position to waypoint #1. You could then project waypoint #2.

Would that do what you want?

pounder67

This scenario really doesn't have a lot to to with projecting, but it's something I would do if the unit is capable.  Let's see if I can explain it better:  I'm in the woods with my GPS and I have a buddy armed only with a compass.  He's 1 mile away from me.  I have a general idea where he is, but he's now lost.  He said he's at a fork in the river and I want him to come out to a road intersection.  On my GPS topo map, I mark his current location at the fork, then mark a waypoint at the intersection.  I want to know the distance and bearing for him to set his compass to so he comes out to the intersection.  Right now, I can set all these points and get the coordinates, but any bearings and distances are all relative from my current position, not his.  Is there a way to get bearings and distances between two points away from my current position?

jbensman

alpine

On a Nuvi what you want to do is easy. You just mark the spot where your buddy is, make that spot as to where the Nuvi is, then mark the spot where you want your buddy to go and simulate the route. It will give course and distance.

At least on my 500 that is the way it works.

foresterscott01

After setting the two waypoints on the map:

WhereTo--->Target Button ('search near' routine)--->A Waypoint>Select your start point (buddy's location).  You now get returned to the WhereTo menu.

Now select Waypoints--->Select your ending point (road intersection).

You now get a map with the bar at the top of the page. The bar will have the distance and bearing from your buddy to the road, or alternatively it will show up in the list of waypoints in the previous step as being near the first waypoint, and you'll see a bearing and distance there.

That's the only way I've found to get a bearing and distance between two points when one of them is not your current location.   

Scott

jbensman

While my solution of using a whereigo cart will work, Scott's suggestion is MUCH simpler and easier. (You have to make sure you have your GPS displaying degrees for his solution to work-otherwise you will get SE instead of a bearing) However, I would recomend having both whereigos on your GPS.  They both have some nice feature you never know when you will need.

foresterscott01

I wasn't familiar with those WhereIgo utilities.  Thanks for the heads-up on those; I just picked up both of them.  Are there any more that are utility-oriented instead of game-oriented?

Scott

jbensman

pounder67

Thanks Foresterscott, that's exactly what I wanted to know.  I just got this unit last week...still learning.  I'll try some Whereigo stuff; not very familiar with it yet.