GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

What GPS to buy?

Started by kdbell, April 15, 2011, 12:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdbell

Hi,  Nice website.  I have a Nuvi 750 for my car and like it very much.  I would like to get a Garmin handheld so I can download some TOPO's from here.  I don't need anything fancy, just want to know where I am and be able to mark trails and waypoints.  Maybe get some routes from my friend that has an exTera.  What would you suggest?  Thanks  kd

Boyd

Personally I would get one of the newer series that support custom maps, birdseye and multiple map files. These would include the Oregon, Dakota, GPSMap 62 and 78 series. The Colorado is discontinued but also supports these features.

Older designs such as the 60csx and eTrex lines are not compatible with these new features.

Seldom

If you plan to use them in your hand, I'd go along with Boyd's recommendation, but if you plan to mount them on a bike's handlebars, you should probably limit yourself to the 62 and 78.  I own an OR300, and its screen would be useless if I couldn't orient it so it would catch the sun.

Boyd

That is true with older models like your Oregon 300 and my own 400t. I haven't used the new ones, but a number of people report the screen on the Oregon 450 and the Dakota series are big improvements. A have a friend with a Dakota that uses it on a mountain bike and is very happy.

BTW, what is an "exTera"? Did you mean "eTrex" maybe? Routes will not be usable with most of the maps on this site, they require routable maps to work properly.

Indrid Cold