GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

A new type map idea...transparent "crime area" overlay

Started by woodstramp, February 27, 2011, 03:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodstramp

A few times, while travelling, my Nuvi has routed me through parts of cities I did not want to be in.  The Nuvi does not know where the most carjackings/drug dealing/murder, etc goes on.  It just routes you according to it's road data.   In some cities there are places the cops hate to go.

Got to wondering if there would be some way to take government crime statistics and convert that info into a shaded overlay map.  Make it a color.  Red maybe.  Highest crime areas would have more intense color...lighter crime areas the reverse. 

Just an idea.  Wonder how this could be done?

Boyd

It could be done. But make sure you have good legal counsel before posting it.  ;D

woodstramp

Quote from: Boyd on February 27, 2011, 05:04:15 PM
It could be done. But make sure you have good legal counsel before posting it.  ;D

Not sure I follow.  Would it be illegal to avoid such parts of town?  If so, then I guess I'm already a felon.   ;D

Seldom

Not illegal to avoid parts of town, but if you publish the locations you think folks should avoid it might be regarded as slander.

babj615

No slander if public information only is used to show areas of high crime occurance.

I think transparent bullseye icons at each crime location, each colored by type of crime.

Red for Homicide
Orange for armed robbery
Pink for rape
etc
etc

The further one zooms out on the map, the more apparent dangerous areas would be.

:)

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

maps4gps

That has been done in the GIS (Geographic Information System) field on computers.

Boyd

In today's litigious society, I would not want to author such a map. What if some of your data is wrong and shows a mass murderer buried his bodies in the wrong place? Or that a safe neighborhood is dangerous? Could affect the value of homes. Or somebody could be attacked in and area that you incorrectly showed as safe. There could be all kinds of other issues related to ethnic bias, etc.

If you aren't concerned about this, by all means make the map! It wouldn't be all that hard if you could find the data.

babj615

If done, we would not be the Author, but rather just a compiler of already available data. The map should only show General crime types and locations, allowing the map user to decide how safe any given area is. Simply providing the same data that exists elsewhere in a new graphical format should not be concern for litigation.

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s

woodstramp

Quote from: babj615 on February 27, 2011, 11:17:33 PM

Red for Homicide
Orange for armed robbery
Pink for rape
etc
etc

The further one zooms out on the map, the more apparent dangerous areas would be.

Perfect.  That is exacly what I was thinking. (the only thing I might add is a blue dot for where a cop had been fired upon) You could tap in a route on the Nuvi, then zoom out to see if you want to drive through  there or not.  Ingrid Cold's link shows almost what I had in mind anyway.

As to the comments about an author getting into some kind of trouble....I just don't see it.  Everybody who is familiar with their local large city are already aware of the bad parts of town.  This idea would be for folks who are not lccals.

babj615

Quote from: woodstramp on March 01, 2011, 02:15:56 AM
Quote from: babj615 on February 27, 2011, 11:17:33 PM

Red for Homicide
Orange for armed robbery
Pink for rape
etc
etc

Perfect.  That is exacly what I was thinking. (the only thing I might add is a blue dot for where a cop had been fired upon)

In Seattle, we will use Blue Dots for Unjustified Police Shootings/Excessive Force used against civilians....

Gonna be a lot of blue dots!

woodstramp

babj615,

I'll compromise with you on the blue dots....how about a blue dot for "every location" "someone" gets hurt and a cop was on the scene, regardless of the offending party?  ;D

I don't care if it's a power-tripping cop or a drug-tripping gangbanger who cracks my skull....I'd like to avoid both.