GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Odometer error on Nuvi 500

Started by NinjaBob, February 22, 2011, 02:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NinjaBob

I made a 200 mile ride with my Nuvi 500 last Saturday. I checked my trip screen periodically and all was well up to about mile 140. At some point after that it went crazy.

Any ideas what caused this?

Boyd

That's pretty common with automotive units. Something happens where you lose signal or get bad data and the unit thinks you just moved a hundred miles in a second. If you look at the track on your computer, you should see a spike when it happened.

You could use basecamp or mapsource to do this, or other software.

Indrid Cold

Um, you didn't have any missing time, did you?

Just kidding:)

NinjaBob

I don't recall missing any time on that trip but ya never know  ???
Unfortunately I did not save the track.

Boyd

Look for a file name Current.gpx in the GPX folder on the Nuvi. It may still contain the log (unless you specifically cleared it out).

NinjaBob

I did specifically clear the log since I was gowing on another longer ride the following day. I typically save my logs to my desktop but not this time, thinking it was junk due to the 2000 mile error. But now I realize it would have been interesting to see it for the same reason.

alpine

Never had that happen on my 500. I guess I'm going to have to make a lot more trips!

Usually on ATV rides all the GPSs and odometers on the machines agree within 5 miles on 90 mile trips. I would have loved to have seen that track.

I'm guessing you weren't riding a bicycle with that 126 mph max speed!

Seldom

Good catch.  The Max speed is about a fifth of the moving average and overall average.  Ninjabob, if it's not too incriminating what's the real max speed?

NinjaBob

Quote from: seldom_sn on February 25, 2011, 03:58:15 PM
Good catch.  The Max speed is about a fifth of the moving average and overall average.  Ninjabob, if it's not too incriminating what's the real max speed?
Promise not to reveal my true identity. The max speed was set on an earlier ride and I beleive it is accurate. I do have a pretty fast mortorcycle, they say it will go about 155 but I can't vouch for that. The consensus among GPS using motorcyclists is that GPS speed and odometer measurents are very accurate. But we occasioanlly see some obvious errors on the optimistic side.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: seldom_sn on February 25, 2011, 03:58:15 PM
Good catch.  The Max speed is about a fifth of the moving average and overall average.  Ninjabob, if it's not too incriminating what's the real max speed?
I'm not so sure about that, it is only displaying 3 digits and most likely rolled over.