GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Raster Map of Joshua Tree Created with Moagu

Started by Stoaty, February 06, 2009, 05:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoaty

I have created a raster map of Joshua Tree National Park and some of the surrounding areas using Moagu and data downloaded from the USGS Seamless Server from scanned 1:24000 scale topo maps.   It took me quite a few hours to make this map (including probably 150 hours of CPU time).  It's perfect for those who are hiking and want an exact match to a paper topo.  I prefer it to the vector maps, as it is a lot easier to tell exactly where one is on the paper topo.

Is anyone interested in having this map uploaded to gpsfiledepot?  I have kind of run out of steam and don't want to bother creating the install file.; If someone knows how to create the install files for both Mac and PC and wants to finish the task, le  me know.  It would probably be very easy for someone familiar with the process.

Thanks.

--John

Stoaty

OK, it is uploading now.  There are a couple of files in the zip (besides the IMG files) that were in the directory from the processing with Mapset Toolkit.  The largest piece Moagu can process is about 100 megapixels, so I had to download 27 different segments from the USGS.  There are about 1200 tiles in the map, since Moagu takes each piece and breaks it up into tiles.   I included some of the area South of Interstate 10 (Painted Canyon, etc.) and anywhere I thought I might want to hike.  Thus there is a significant area outside the actual National Park.  The lower left portion of the rectangle that is in the desert cities I didn't bother to include.

Let me know if you need anything else.

--John

Stoaty

Zip file containing Img files has been uploaded, available under California -> Joshua Tree.  Just needs to have setup file created for PC/Mac by someone in the know.

--John

-Oz-

I'm downloading it now.  I may mess around with aerial photos today of Alaska for where I'm going hiking with Mapwel.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Stoaty

I guess there WAS some interest in the raster map version.  If I get the energy, I may write a brief tutorial of things I discovered along the way that eventually allowed me to make the multi-segment version with nearly perfect joins between the MOAGU segments.  There were a few bumps and the MOAGU documentation, while very clear re: how to make a single segment up to 100 megapixels in size, didn't cover the details of how to make perfect joins of the segments.  Leszek (MOAGU author) was very generous in giving me info that helped to make the final product possible.

-Oz-

I uploaded a mac version and an installer version.

it looks good but I didn't get any image above 0.5mi zoom; this how it should have worked or did I not give it enough time to load?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Quote from: Stoaty on February 07, 2009, 09:08:39 PM
I guess there WAS some interest in the raster map version.  If I get the energy, I may write a brief tutorial of things I discovered along the way that eventually allowed me to make the multi-segment version with nearly perfect joins between the MOAGU segments.  There were a few bumps and the MOAGU documentation, while very clear re: how to make a single segment up to 100 megapixels in size, didn't cover the details of how to make perfect joins of the segments.  Leszek (MOAGU author) was very generous in giving me info that helped to make the final product possible.

If you write that tutorial i'd be more than happy to post it here so it can help out a lot of other people.  The map does look pretty good.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Stoaty

QuoteThe map does look pretty good.

I found the raster version I created very helpful when I went hiking in Joshua Tree a couple of weeks ago.  It is a lot easier to see exactly where you are on the paper topo, and helped me select a cross country route while I was in the field.  Looking at the vector version of California later, I don't think I would have realized where the perfect spot to ascend a peak was.

Quote from: -Oz- on February 07, 2009, 11:32:04 PM
it looks good but I didn't get any image above 0.5mi zoom; this how it should have worked or did I not give it enough time to load?

Yes, that is how it should work.  Leszek advised just using MOAGU to create the 500 foot zoom level.  Apparently MOAGU resizes for the zoom levels out to 0.5 miles.  If you zoom out further, you just see the empty tiles.

PS I would want to include a few screen grabs in my tutorial.  What is the best format to submit the tutorial in (with included images) once I write it?  A Microsoft Word document?  Some other format?  Would I just zip it and upload it so you can post it in the appropriate section from there?

--John

-Oz-

word document works just fine; i'll convert the images and such.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Stoaty

Quote from: -Oz- on February 08, 2009, 09:45:01 AM
word document works just fine; i'll convert the images and such.

I am going to write a quick and dirty version today that will give most of the important information needed to make the maps.  Will upload it as soon as I finish (perhaps a couple of hours).

Stoaty

OK, tutorial is done.  Uploaded zip file under state of California.  Please modify as you see fit and post in tutorial section.

Thanks.

--John

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!