GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Postgresql issues

Started by Shnick, February 07, 2009, 08:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shnick

I am reinstalling postgresql-8.3.6-2 on my pc, and its saying it cant install the database onto a non-NTFS volume. 

Is there a workaround for this? i dont remember what i did last time...

Shnick

-Oz-

Did you try running initdb.exe?

I only have NTSF on my computers so I've never run into this error.  I just read the message and it seems like the workaround is initdb.exe
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Shnick

Yeah i found the initdb.exe file and clicked it, but all it does it make a command prompt pop up for a split second and really doesnt appear to do anything productive...

Shnick

-Oz-

You are correct; they want you to run on ntfs because some things don't work it you don't.

The forums say:
QuoteSpecifically, FAT32 does not support Directory Junctions, which means
tablespaces don't work. That's the only filesystem specific function
that is used directly. (security and reliability are of course used
indirectly)

That said, you *can* run pg on FAT32, it's just not recommended. The
installer won't let you. But if you install just the files (you can do
this from the installer, just don't enable service or initdb) and run it
manually, it should work.

Beware that no testing is done on FAT. And don't expect your data to be
around if the machine crashes. Right now I think only tablespaces won't
work, but if other features don't work, don't expect anybody to put down
a lot of effort to make a workaround for FAT.

Also, did you know you can convert the drive (unless you want it for linux or something of the sort): http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.ms
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Shnick

OK, that worked, sort of...

I converted an old hard drive and installed Postgres/Postgis on it.  I have it running, but i get:

could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
         Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting
         TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

After doing some searches on the 'net, i found similar issues...
Is the server even running? i can ping the 127.0.0.1 with no packet loss, but it bounces back when i specify port 5432...

Also had install issue with libiconv-2.dll, it failed to write when i tried to install Postgis using the Application Stack Builder.  i continued with the install and ignored that particular file. 

HELP!!!!

Shnick

-Oz-

Load pgadmin III and see if you can connect to the database that way?
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Shnick

nope... it says the same thing...

Although I can "start service" with pgAdminIII, but it wont let me connect...

in the cmd prompt, i type: psql -d postgis -h localhost -U postgres -f nhd_area.sql

psql: could not connect to server: Cannot assign requested address (0x0000274D/10061)
Is the server running on "localhost" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

i have it remember my password, so i left out the -p... if i leave it in, it says something different:

psql: warning: extra command-line argument "nhd_areas.sql" ignored
psql: could not connect to server: Cannot assign requested address (0x00002741/10049)
Is the server running on "localhost" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port -f?

Shnick

Shnick

This starts when installing postgis_1_3_5_pg83.exe, it says:

So it makes me think... is it a bad install???

Shnick

Shnick

O.K., i have officially given up on the water files...  after reinstalling, it now says port 5432 is already in use...

if someone wants to finish the water for me and send the files back, thats the only option i see as of now... i have all the other files processed except the water files, i can send them thru IM...

I use skype for instant messaging, if someone would like to process the water for me, email me your contact info and I'll add you to my list... hansenml at i-mnet dot net

I'll keep the files for a couple weeks, after which i'll burn them on disc...

Thanks...
Shnick

-Oz-

How large are the files?

How did you process the transportation and all that?  The port being in use means the service is still running.  When I had to reinstll I had to make a second user called postgre2 but I still got to use the same port.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Shnick

-Oz-:

i just used GM for the transportation, when loaded in GM, all the roads show their appropriate size/type etc.

the NHD files - zipped, 271 MB...
the transportation files - zipped, 163 MB

Shnick

-Oz-

If you load the water files to rapidshare I will process them for you.  You'll have to split them because the max size there is 200mb.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Shnick

Thanks -Oz-, im uploading now...

Shnick

-Oz-

Processing...

Edit: Uploading... going to sleep now so in the morning I'll post a link to the file.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

The nhd data is at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/nhd-wi.zip

Once you download it let me know so I can remove it from the server.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!