GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Uploading maps losing connection

Started by jbensman, January 27, 2011, 08:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbensman

Has anyone else had trouble uploading big maps?  I normally have lots of trouble any time I try to upload My Topos (1.1 gig).  After it has been uploading for 3 or 4 hours many times it just stops uploading and there is no error message.  It just stops.  It usually takes 3 or 4 times before it will upload.  Its very frustrating.  It is extremely rare for me to have this problem for my smaller maps.  After it stops uploading there does not seem to be any way to get it to resume.  I also with the maps would upload faster.

maps4gps

Never tried any that large.  Occasionally a 200-300Mb will appear to have finished and 'freeze' without 'finishing' with the map never being uploaded - even after waiting 5-10 minutes. 
If your internet provider is like mine, QWest, they have uploads limited to about 3Mb per minute, whereas the downloads go at 10Mb (160k per second).

-Oz-

That is interesting; no idea how to correct it either; i ftp for maps in the few hundred mb range.  The webmaster in me though would prefer to split a map that is that big because that is a lot of down bandwidth especially if someone only wants one part.

I am currently outside of the country so its a little difficult to look into these type of issues.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

ruderik

I too have been having this problem uploading ZIP files of maps around the 1GB size. The process seems to get towards the end and then finish with an error. I don't believe there is a connection problem as I have tried several times. Pretty darn frustrating when it fails after over two hours.  :)

jbensman

Speaking of uploading big files to this site, has anyone been updating your map and find afterwards that the wrong map has been updated?  I don't know if the problem is me clicking the wrong link or something on the site is messing up.  I try to be careful to upload to the right link, but lately I look on the site and see the wrong map is updated.  Last night I thought I was uploading a new version of My trails and it turns out My Topos got updated with My Trails.  I reuploaded My Trails but now I am going to have to reupload My Topos (over 1 gig).  It may be I am just messing up with the small fonts and everything close together.  But I try to be careful.  Anyone else having ths problem?

-Oz-

Definitely report again if you have the same issue; at the top of the screen in the url should be the map id that you are trying to update; that should match the map id on the map viewing page.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!