GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Blank Maps with cGPSmapper Watermark in MapSource?

Started by greenfrog5, January 19, 2011, 10:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenfrog5

OK, so I tried to incorporate your last round of suggestions:
Points - Level 0
Polylines - Level 0-1
I put the IMG from MapEdit into the final Garmin/Map Set/ folder, but now MapSource crashes whenever I load the map.  I tried doing it my 'old' way with the original IMG in a separate folder, still crashes.  Any new map I try to compile/install crashes MapSource (old installed maps work fine).  Seems to be something ToolKit is doing, but I cannot read the cGPSMapper comments fast enough before it finishes and quits.  Is there file log or something?

ToolKit an IMG in the final Map Set folder "Map Set".  MapEdit won't open it saying something about 'unexpected format and empty'.  The original IMG is also in the folder with the 8-digit title needed for ToolKit

Renaming the 1234568 (original) IMG to overwrite the 'Map Set Name' one, everything works fine.

Why?  I need to use the 8-digit name for ToolKit, but it for some reason creates an empty/not-working IMG with the correct final name.  Is this typical?  Should the Map Set one work?  If I have multiple maps with multiple IMG files, I foresee complications.  Any thoughts?

Seldom

greenfrog5,

It sounds like there's something wrong with your link between cgpsmapper and MapSetToolKit.

You know you can run cgpsmapper from the command line, rather than through MapSetToolKit, or GPSMapedit?  Running from the command line you will be able to see any error messages, at a readable rate.  You can also create the TDB and basemap.img using cgpsmapper and cpreview and see any error messages that show up there. After that you would just use MSTK to do the registry entries necessary to install in MapSource or BaseCamp.

Another thing I just noticed.  Rename your "Map Set" directory "MapSet", no spaces.  I know that command line cgpsmapper will treat the space as a delimiter.  Same with file names.

greenfrog5

So, I have the map essentially working in MapSource with the switch-a-roo described above.  However, I cannot select the map with the map tool to send to my GPSr.  I cannot find anything about where you specify the region name(s) or boundaries.  In MapEdit I set the bounds of the map, which come in as the rectangle of its region.  I am unable to select it.  I know I can send the IMG files to the GPSr in other ways, but I want to combine them with other maps into a single IMG using Map Source.

Thanks, I'm getting close
Aaron

Seldom

When you select the tile with the map selection tool, does it turn pink, like it does with maps you've downloaded from this site?

greenfrog5

I am happy to report, I have resolved all issues to my satisfaction!  I create the MP file, then export the IMG as 8-digit name (not in the final /Map Set/ folder).  I run MapToolKit on this IMG, and point it to the final folder, where it creates everything that does work.  I think some of the time early-on in my trials, I was creating working maps, but with poorly set layers, and I was zooming in on the map-area (being displayed as a trail) looking for more detail when it was elsewhere in the region.

Then, I had no idea about the 'MapSource Select Area' which isn't mentioned in the tutorials I was reading.

Anyway, everything works from Google Earth down to the GPS, I am now able to refine the graphical appearance and display of the trails I make.  jbensman, when I accumulate a handful of trails, I send them to be added to MyTrails.

Thanks everybody!
Aaron