GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How to get .IMG maps into MapSource

Started by AKoutdoors, January 25, 2011, 08:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKoutdoors

I bought Garmin topo preloaded on an SD card.  my gps reads it fine.  However, I want to get it into MapSource but don't know how. 

I tried using mapsettoolkit with cgpsmapper...it does the DOS thing for a while, then a windows popup says "Can't create REG file".   I way OK and it says complete.  But, when I go into Mapsource it does not have the map.  I must be doing something wrong... or perhaps there is a better way to get their info into Mapsource.

THe sd card had two files:   gmapsupp.img and gmapsupp.unl.

Thanks

Indrid Cold

You can not install a locked map image from a pre programmer Garmin datacard into MapSource. BaseCamp may be able to read the map, but only while your datacard is in a card reader or gps unit.

Boyd

It should work fine for you in Basecamp. I have the NorthEast 24k topo and use it in a USB card reader connected to my computer with Basecamp. Download here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

You may find that you can copy it to a USB flash disk and use that with your computer also. A copy of the card will not work in a GPS  (it's copy protected) but I think it will still work on your computer.

AKoutdoors

Thanks for info, I will try basecamp.  I suppose there is no way to get the pre-loaded charts from my 78sc into mapsource either.  I want to do trip planning in Mapsource, then download to by 78....

Boyd

Yes, just plug the GPS into your computer while running basecamp and it will read the map. The first time you do this, it takes a few minutes to cache the map. After that, it will start up much quicker. But the map is always read from the device itself (either card reader or GPS) and not actually copied to the computer.

AKoutdoors

to BOYD
Downloaded BaseCamp.  It worked great for seeing the map I up-loaded to the built-in memory of the GPS (file from this website) and it sees the Topo I bought from Garmin and placed in the SD slot.  HOWEVER, it does not see the pre-loaded ocean charts that come standard on the 78SC, only the standard basemap.   Any ideas?

Boyd

Ah, OK, didn't realize that was a marine map. Basecamp evidently doesn't display those (I have never used marine charts). They have a program called "Homeport" for use with their marine products, but I don't know anything about it.

I am not sure where you get this software or whether you must purchase it - maybe somebody else around here can help? Otherwise, I suggest that you contact Garmin support to see if it will do what you want and where to get it.

This is from their knowledge base:

QuoteHomePort is a program that is designed to view downloaded or preprogrammed cards of BlueChart g2 and BlueChart g2 Vision.

If HomePort is not displaying the maps from a downloaded BlueChart g2 card, the issue may be the naming convention of the mapping files on the card.

If the BlueChart g2 card is being downloaded for a handheld device like the Oregon or Colorado series, the downloaded files will be named according to the region that was purchased. An example would be, if the US g2 region was downloaded the files would be named:

* HXUS039R.gma
    * HXUS039R.img
    * HXUS039R.unl

This is because handheld devices are able to use multiple regions of mapping on one microSD/SD card. Each region will have different file names.

HomePort at this time is not able to read these region names. HomePort will only be able to read the mapping if the file names are as follows:

* gmapsupp.gma
    * gmapsupp.img
    * gmapsupp.unl

To make the maps viewable in HomePort, the three files on the card will need to be renamed to gmapsupp while keeping the existing extensions. These files can be found inside the Garmin folder on the root directory of the microSD/SD card.

Keep in mind that only a single region can hold the name gmapsupp. Therefore, if you have multiple regions, each will need to be renamed as described above and placed on seperate microSD/SD cards.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on January 26, 2011, 06:23:13 PM
Ah, OK, didn't realize that was a marine map. Basecamp evidently doesn't display those (I have never used marine charts). They have a program called "Homeport" for use with their marine products, but I don't know anything about it.
HomePort Link

AKoutdoors

Thanks for the help!  Will check out homeport.  Perhaps PolarView as well (found that quickly while googling for homeport info). -K