GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Cant create map segments

Started by omni, January 22, 2011, 11:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omni

:-[ I have used your tutorial to load the topo of the state of Maine into mapsource. When I click on mapsource the "Maine Topo" chart is there in its entirety and reacts the way I would expect.  However, I have tried for two hours to select a segment without any success. No matter what I do with the map tool or select buttons, the entire map goes pink.  What I expect to see is the rubber band around a section that turns pink when I hit select.  I am able to rename and save the non-existant file, although it has no content.  I know I have fumbled somewhere but have never seen a GPS or one of these maps, so I'm lost.
Monty

Boyd

Click on the Maps tab in the left pane of the Mapsource window. If you don't see the Maps tab or the left pane, use View > Show User Data Tabs. What do you see on the maps list? It should show all the different segments in the map.

If there's only one item on the list, then that's how the map was created. If there's a long list of items, then you somehow selected the whole map (which is easy to do accidentally). In that case, use Edit > Select All to choose all the items in the Map tab and hit the Delete key on your keyboard. This will only remove the segments from the list, and not actually delete them from your computer.

Now nothing will be selected on the map. Use the map tool (Tools > Map) and carefully select only the segments you want. After doing so, they will appear on the list on the left.

jbensman

What do you mean by this?  "I have used your tutorial to load the topo of the state of Maine into mapsource"  All you do is run the installer and the installer installs the map into mapsource.  I hope you did not  get confused and follow the tutorial on how to use mapsettoolkit to install img files.  If you did that can really mess things up and could explain your issue.  So if you did not simply run the installer, run uninstall and then try running the installer again.  If that does not work, let us know and mapsettoolkit can undo the damage. 

omni

There is only one item on the list and it is the complete state of Maine.  Should I delete it and start the map load again?  Where it was originally stored from the GPS File Depot download, I do see scores of segments.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I did use the MapSet Tool Kit and thought it a little above and beyond but it appeared to work.  I am going to try to uninstall, then install without the MapSet Tool Kit.

Boyd

You should not have used mapsettoolkit. Unfortunately, the tutorials confuse many people. You can remove the mapset using the windows control panel for removing programs. You have also probably created a second mapset with mapsettoolkit (MSTK) though. After running the uninstaller, run MSTK and look at the list of installed maps. If you still see the file, click uninstall there. This removes it from mapsource but doesn't delete the .img files, which you need to do manually.

Now install again as per this: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/

omni

I was about to uninstall and start over when I decided to take another look at coastal Maine.  When I expanded the view to 10 miles per inch, I saw the grid divisions for the first time and was able to select and save two sections! These two sections are now listed as one map when I select Files.  I did not understand that the grid segments could not be modified and my View criteria had been 300-500 feet.  I don't know how the map survived my amatuerish efforts but it looks as though my excerpted sections might be viable. I haven't yet tried to load the GPS but am cautiously optimistic.  If this fixes my "problem" I want to thank everyone for their interest and support.  I will let you know how it goes. :)

Boyd

Well that explains it. 300 to 500 foot scale is way too close to see map segments. In mapsource, on the dropdown menu, do you only see one listing for the Maine topo? If so, you're probably fine. Otherwise, you might have created a separate map with MSTK, and you can remove it as described above using MSTK.

omni

Yes, there is only one Maine Topo on the dropdown (no thanks to my technique).  I will save the tips I received for future reference and hope I don't nreed them.  I had originally intended to create an executable for my friends but after this experience, I may just invite them over for a download.  :)