GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

downloading multiple maps ?

Started by deercamp, February 04, 2009, 04:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deercamp

hello, i was wondering what will happen if i download ibycus usa map on my 2g micros sd flash card that  already has a massachusetts topo map that i got from this site.  how will this work?  do i need to put it on a different card or can i choose from my gps which one i want to use?  i guess i am asking the same question again but what if i was to add the garmin 2008 mass topo map or another topo map from this site if another one comes out for mass?  what would happen?  thanks for the help... ;)

-Oz-

Follow these directions: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Make sure you select both maps in MapSource and load them all at once.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

radioray

I want to install multiple (3) maps on my Vista with a 2 GB card. I have a Mac and it seems that I need to use Mapinstall. It doesn't give the option to select more than one map to install, and when it finishes, it doesn't give you the option to go back and choose another map to install. The only option is "Done," and when you click that, it quits. When you restart Mapinstall, it says it will erase anything on your card. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for this great site!

dhisum_dhisum

Well, to install multiple maps on your GPS device, you have to do the following:

Run Mapsource and then:

1.  In the top left corner, from the drop down selection of maps, select the first map  you want to transfer.
2. Select the area selector tool in the menu
3. Using the area selection tool on the toolbar on the top, select the sections of the map you want to transfer on your GPS. Mapsource has a column on the left side, which on the top contains 4 tabs (waypoints, tracks, maps...).
4. If you click on the "Maps" tab, you will see all the sections that you selected, appear there.
5. Verify all the maps you selected appear in the list
6. Now go back to step , i.e. from the drop down, select the second map  you want to transfer. After, the second map shows up in the map window, repeat step 2.
7. Repeat steps 2-5 for all the maps that you want to transfer. Once you have selected _all_ the maps you wanted to transfer, from the Menu, select Transfer->transfer to device and Mapsource will send all the maps to your device.

Remember, you have to select _ALL_ the maps that you want to send to your GPS _every_ time as the previous maps get overwritten every time you transfer new maps.

radioray

Thank you very much. The mistake I was making was trying to use the drop down menu in Mapinstall rather than select individual parts of the maps. One problem with this approach is that when one wants a complete map, it is very time consuming to select each segment individually, especially in big maps like Ibycus USA. I tried the usual method of ⌘A to select all, but that seems to have no effect. Do you know of another way to select complete maps. Again, thank you for your help.

markster1024

Okay now I'm having a problem with downloading multiple maps.  I have successfully loaded portions of both Ibycus and New York topo separately and they worked just fine on my Vista HCx.  But then I realized by reading the tutorial that I have to load them all at once.  All together I'm only loading 92 maps and 243 MB to my 2 GB microSD card.  First it builds the mapset, (about 2-3 minutes), then it transfers to the device.  When it gets to about 70%, I always get this error;  "There was a problem communicating with the data card.  The request could not be performed because of an I\O device error." 

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you Oz for making the NY topo available recently.

Markster1024

-Oz-

Mark, it sounds like a hardware issue.  If you're loading it via the unit I would test with:
a) a card reader (faster to load too)
b) another computer

If you're loading via a card reader try loading via the unit; this will take a lot longer.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

markster1024

Thank you Dan.  I don't have a card reader, but I have been meaning to buy one anyways.  I could also try loading maps from my laptop.  I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks,

Mark

markster1024

I bought a card reader and it worked just fine!  I still can't understand why my GPSr wouldn't work though.  Like I said it's a Vista HCx and it works fine otherwise(?)

Thanks again Dan.

Mark

maps4gps

My 76csx has problems with a gmapsupp.img file being created and sent directly from MapSource or SendMap if they are over a few megabytes.  Works fine for files over 1Gb when an existing (on the computer) gmapsupp.img file is transfered via the USB cable.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!