GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Now what?

Started by oldnav, April 21, 2010, 09:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldnav

I know this is a new user question but I downloaded the NE part 3 TOPO and it's on my computer. How do I get it into mapsource so I can use it and install it in my 60cx?

Jimbob

That map is a self extracting  exe. file and should hasve installed itself in mapsource or basecamp.
If you have neither of them you need to acquire same. See instructions this site. If it loaded to map source select that map, select the map tool and select all or whatever part of the map you wish to load. Select transfer and the selected map tiles will load to the GPSr.
Looking again at your question I see you cannot find the map in mapsource.  If it is in mapsource you can try bringing it up by
1) view/switch to product  name of map should be visible
2) upper left bar shap icon -lists maps available
If you cannot find it as above you did not install it properly.

oldnav

I was on GPSFile Depot. I downloaded the TOPO map to my desktop. I open the file and it installed the file to my hard drive where it presently resides. Was I supposed to have mapsource open at the time?

oldnav

Nevermind. I tried again and it is now in Mapsource!
Thanks anyhow.

-Oz-

There is also a step by step tutorial.  You can use basecamp to load the map as well: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

dlj0

It was also not trivial for me to see how to do this on a MAC.  For full disclosure, I am not a Mac user, it's my wife's machine, but until Garmin sees fit to provide a linux version of mapsource it's what I have. 

Once I found where the files had been downloaded to, I then had to figure out how to get them loaded into Mapsource.  All I had to do was double-click on the filename in the finder, but, like I said, I don't know much about Mac's.  It'd be nice to include a little bit about how you go from the download to getting the maps read into Mapsource.

Currently I am downloading delaware's contour overlay to my Dakota 10.  I sure hope it doesn't overwrite my City Navigator maps.  It seems to be downloading them as well, but I don't know how else to do this.  One minute left.  We will see.

Seemed to work.  Now to re-do it with the entire NE.  This is very cool.  Sure beats paying $100 for Garmin's inferior topo overlay (which I had when I briefly had a nuvi 500 -- returned it because of the poor battery life that made it unusable on my bike). 

Boyd

Quote from: dlj0 on January 21, 2011, 07:36:03 PMIt'd be nice to include a little bit about how you go from the download to getting the maps read into Mapsource.

There's one thing that puzzles me here. Mapsource is a Windows-only program. How did you run it on a Mac?  ???

Seriously, what program were you using on the Mac? It would have to be either Basecamp or Roadtrip unless you were running Windows on your Mac via Parallels or Bootcamp.