GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

downloading maps with a download manager

Started by NinjaBob, January 21, 2011, 08:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NinjaBob

I have a satellite connection with a 200 MB/day limit. However download limits do not apply from 2:00 am to 7:00 am and the ISP offers a download manager  which allows users to schedule downloads during this unrestricted zone. However the site uses PHP scripts to initiate the downloads
rather than posting the actual file URLs. Sometimes when I try to schedule a download what I actually get is only the html file containing the PHP script, other times it works.
I have sucessfully downloaded :
291-7864-Shenipsit.kmz
379-6238-louisiana_ci2010_install.exe
53-3615-My_Trails_install.exe

but 102-1861-sctopo_install.exe has failed twice.

Does anyone know why some files will download and others do not?

Thanks

maps4gps

OZ is essentially without internet service for awhile..
Set you clock, get up for a few minutes and start the download at 2AM Saturday.
There are individual State topo maps available for all those States.

NinjaBob

Quote from: maps4gps on January 21, 2011, 10:06:37 AM
OZ is essentially without internet service for awhile..
Set you clock, get up for a few minutes and start the download at 2AM Saturday.
There are individual State topo maps available for all those States.
Thanks. I actually tried that already. I only got about 700 mb of the 800 mb file before 7:00 am pumpkin time. I tried a resume the following night and got the rest but it was corrupted. One advantage of the dl manager is it splits the file into multiple parts and does a simultaneous dl, then puts then back together, cutting dl time.

Will try the manager again tonight, this time manually inserting the true url.

maps4gps

The southcentral topo with installer is shown as only 616Mb.

NinjaBob

Quote from: maps4gps on January 22, 2011, 07:28:32 AM
The southcentral topo with installer is shown as only 616Mb.
My mistake, I believe it was actually the Southeast US at 782 mb. that failed.
Anyway, last night I successfully downloaded and have installed your US Planimetric - South Central Map. This is an awesome supplement to City Nav, it is great to be able to see the streams and lakes. Plus the historical sites are more accurate. Great work, thanks!

-Oz-

Your best bet is definitely to extract what the real url is.  if you have a real issue with that let me know for specific maps and I can get you the exact urls.

As maps4gps said I am pretty remote right now so my internet availability is limited.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

NinjaBob

Thanks for the replies. I have had good success  building the correct url  manually.