GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Lost with Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx with sensors and maps

Started by Smoothhorse, January 20, 2011, 05:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoothhorse

Got this great gps for traveling woods on horseback and can't even find my house!  Totally illiterate about these and what to do. Unit does no show any streets, topo, or info that helps. Load map info does not even look like my mapsource.  It does not have a drop down menu for regions. GPS does show the general area of my home but no detail. Any stores that may be able to give me a hands on or groups in the Charleston, SC area to meet with?

Boyd

REI has very helpful salespeople in my experience. You need to be willing to tinker with things to use the free maps on this site. If you want something really easy, I'd suggest bringing your unit to one of their stores and asking to see the pre-loaded data cards with maps of your region.

Garmin sells 24k topo maps that cover several states, and 100k topo maps that cover the entire US. The 24k maps will be more accurate, but you should look at both because there are other differences. With a preloaded card, you just plug it into the GPS and start using it. If you want the maps on your computer, you'd use a USB card reader or a built-in memory card slot if you computer has one. They could set you up with one of these at a store like Best Buy or Staples. You would use Garmin's BaseCamp program to view the maps on your computer - it's a free download.

So if you want something easy to use and don't mind paying for it, this might be a good solution for you.