GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Blank Maps with cGPSmapper Watermark in MapSource?

Started by greenfrog5, January 19, 2011, 10:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenfrog5

I have followed every tutorial multiple times, and finally need help.  The problem is, I get just a off-tone rectangle where the map should be in MapSource, with the www.cgpsmapper.com watermark and nothing, at any zoom.  ONCE, I got my trails to show up fine.

Here is generally what I've tried:
Garmin eTrex HCx & Google Earth > Tracks as kml
Imported into OzyExplorer and/or MapEdit with other map overlays
Saved as MAP file, exported as Garmin IMG
GPS Map Tool Kit to generate remaining files and install in MapSource

I export tracks & waypoints from Ozy
I convert tracks/waypoints to polylines/points
I delete original 'type 0' objects
I draw fresh polylines and polygons
I've tried ALL zooms/detail settings.

With MapEdit, opening the ISO file, the maps looks ok.  In MapSource, it has no data at any zoom or detail level.  So I suspect the issue is with GPS Map Toolkit and its use of cGPSmapper to generate the 'additional files'.  But once, after I though I figured out a problem I had with Levels/Types, I got a fully working map with all lines/points, with www.cgsmapper.com along the borders.  I now understand Levels fine, and can't figure out what I did differently.

Occasionally, I get a waypoint name instead of the www.cgpsmapper.com as the only data on the map or some weird/broken versions of the cgpsmapper watermark along the borders, but mostly its a point in the very middle.

Please help, I can upload sample files or describe what settings/process I do.

Thanks
Aaron

jbensman

After you convert the tracks and waypoints to polylines and POIs, you save the mp filie and then compile the img file.  So this does not make any sense:

You should not be doing that.  But it sounds like you have more problems than that.  Use the additional options and attach your mp file and your file with your track and waypoints and I will take a look at them and tell you what you are doing wrong.  

Boyd

Instead of trying to put the file into mapsource, for debugging purposes just rename it gmapsupp.img and copy it to your GPS. Does it display correctly there? If the map consists of multiple .img files, you could use SendMap20 (download from the cgpsmapper site) to send them all to your GPS.

This may help you determine whether the problem is in the .img files themselves or the way you're trying to install them in mapsource.

Seldom

GPSmapedit will open and create OziExplorer MAP files as well as cgpsmapper MP files.
If the OP is trying to generate an IMG from a MAP file, which I believe is a georeferenced bitmap, it's no wonder that he's not seeing anything in Mapsource.  At best he may be seeing an empty map selection area.

He should bring his tracks and points into GPSmapedit as GPXs and let GPSmapedit convert them to polylines and points.  Anybody know what "type 0" objects are?

maps4gps

Two to three years ago it was a 'catch all' unknown which cgpamapper would compile.  Then Stan changed it to an invalid code.

greenfrog5

Thanks for the replies!  I've been banging my head against the desk on this one.

To clarify a few things:

'type 0' objects refers to an error cGPSmapper was giving me along the lines of "cannot determine category for type 0 objects".  I tracked this to be referring to the original track files left in the file during conversion.  They were type '0' for "unknown road" and needed to be converted and/or removed.

When I said:

These are 2 different/unrelated things I've tried.  Converting tracks to polylines (then deleting them to avoid the type 0 error).  Separately, I tried drawing fresh polylines and polygons to help isolate the problem.

I may eventually need to try putting the IMGs directly onto the GPS.  I thought my issue was using map files instead of mp files, but I just checked and I generate a .map file, add polylines/trails then save it as a .mp file (polish format), then export an .img file which I use in GPSToolKit.  I will do a clean set of files, and upload them for help.

You mention using GPX to get into MapEdit.  Is this just because its a standard and what MapSource uses?  I've been using KML > OzyExplorer for the tracks and data (because Google Earth is awesome, and MapSource isn't (esp on Mac).  In Ozy, I add/calibrate a picture map to help add other stuff, etc.  Aside from conversion and formats, is there something that KML lacks vs GPX?

Thanks again for the help, this has been frustrating but I'm determined to track my on trail maps!
Aaron

greenfrog5

Here is a ZIP of my working files as well as the MapSource product I'm getting.

Thanks again,
Aaron

greenfrog5

The IMG file exported from MapEdit works on my GPS.  The IMG files generated by GPS MapToolkit DON'T.

I was keeping the 1st working IMG in my 'working' folder, and generating the MapSource set from there, into the /Garmin/ (MapSource) folder.  MapToolkit does copy IMG files for both the original (8-digit) filename, as well as the Map Set Name.  However, these files didn't work on my GPS.

Running MapToolKit to generate the accessory files, and edit my registry, then REPLACING the IMG files that it generated with the single one exported from MapEdit finally worked.

Should I export from MapEdit directly into the final Map folder and run ToolKit from there?  Is Toolkit supposed to generate the final IMG files (break the map up into multiple IMGs?).  Does MapManager do the same thing?  Better?

I'm so close, but very pleased to see my trails on the screen.

Aaron

jbensman

I looked at your mp file and see at least three issues.  First POIs only need to be in level 0 (and they are all set to a city).  Second, your level 0 is set to 24 bit and a trail in that level will only display on the GPS to the 500 feet zoom.  The trails need to be added to level 1 as well.  I have also found setting level 0 to 23 bit works the best for trails.  The map is set to not transparent.  That is why you are getting the rectangle.  You need to set it to Transparent without a background object.

Your trails and POIs are in CA and My Trails covers CA.  What you have is exactly what I am always trying to get people to send me to add to My Trails.  So instead of trying to figure this all out, you can simply send me the tracks/waypoints you created (or for anything else you want to map) and I can add it to the CA map of My Trails. 

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53

greenfrog5

jbensman, thank you for your advice I will try incorporating it into what I'm trying.  I though my trails and POIs are in both Levels 0 and 1.  Or should they (trails too?) be in just a single level? (and will automatically show in all levels below).  POIs in just level 0 will show at farther zooms?  I know they are all cities, this was just what I chose to be quick.

Transparency is easy enough - again I was just taking shortcuts to be quicker when I had to repeat things over and over.

I have your My Trails map, it is actually what inspired my endeavor.  I am looking for a way of calibrating a printed map (like a local or regional park map from their website), and tracing trails that aren't in MyTrails yet, then using these on my own.  I am also interested in tracking my own trails (and verifying my traced trails by tracking them), and eventually would be happy to contribute to your MyTrails map as well.

Any idea about why the IMGs that come out of MapToolkit don't work correctly, but the input IMG does?

Boyd

Quote from: greenfrog5 on January 21, 2011, 10:08:54 PMI am looking for a way of calibrating a printed map (like a local or regional park map from their website), and tracing trails that aren't in MyTrails yet, then using these on my own.

Actually Garmin's newer models have a feature designed for doing exactly this. They use raster imagery (the actual scan of the park map) instead of vector imagery like a traditional Garmin map. Won't work on the eTrex series though: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthetrail/custommaps

If you want to make a traditional vector-based map, then Mapwel has a nice set of tools for georeferencing images - ou could play around with the demo version: http://mapwel.eu/calib/hw_calibrate.html

Mapwel is a standalone application that has a built-in compiler - you don't use cgpsmapper. It does not provide direct support for Mapsource, but you can take the .img files it generates and build a mapset with Mapsettoolkit if you tinker around a bit.

Globalmapper, which many of us here use, also has good support for georeferencing. It's a rather expensive program though. But you can play with the demo version, and they will even send you a free key to unlock all the features for 30 days: http://globalmapper.com/

jbensman

I am having a hard time following what you are doing.  But I think I may know what you are doing wrong: "I was keeping the 1st working IMG in my 'working' folder, and generating the MapSource set from there, into the /Garmin/ (MapSource) folder."  You have to create a new folder for the mapset. Create you map in gpsmapedit.  Save it as a mp file. Then compile the img file into the directory you created for the mapset.  Then run mapsettoolkit and it will create several other files in the directory with your img file and install it into mapsource. 

POIs only need to be in level 0, the GPS determines where the POIs display-having them in additional levels has no effect on where the POIs display. Where Polylines (and polygons) display on the map is determined by the levels of the map.  If you have level 0 set to 23 bits, a trail in level 0 will display to the .2 zoom on the GPS.  So you want all trails in level 0.  Trails you want to show above the .2 mile zoom need to be added to level 1.  What I do is just add minor trails (like a connection to a road) to level 0.  The other trails I add to levels 0 and 1.

jbensman

I also use a custon typ file to change the way trails show on the GPS.  The default is hard to see on the GPS.  I also tell it to draw some other things different than default.  I also use it to make the map not display the gpsmapper message.

I use GoogleEarth quite a bit for marking waypoints and tracing stuff.  (You have to first check to make sure the photos you are drawing on are properly alligned.  I take the cords of a know intersection and make sure it plots correctly in GE before tracing.    You can allign pictures of trail maps in GE too but I find it extremly difficult.  I use ExpertGPS for that purpose-It is much easier.  You can send me stuff you trace too and I can add it to My Trails (only takes a couple of minutes) and if you GPS it latter, you can send me that and it only takes a couple minutes to change the map.  The more people contribute to My Trails the better it is. 

Also if you come across any shapefiles, GoogleEarth files, gpx, etc of trails that are not in My Trails, let me know and I can add them.  While I found lots of federal data in CA, I could not find hardly any state or local trail data.

greenfrog5

You are correct that I was compiling the IMG from MapEdit into the same directly the previous files were in (Waypoints, Tracks, MP file, Ozy-MAP file, etc).  Then I created a separate Map Set folder (in Garmin/MapSetName/) and ran GPS ToolKit, pointing it to the 'working' IMG, but directing it to place things in the new Map Set folder.  It created various support files, as well as IMG files name the 8-digit name, as well as the Map Set Name.  I thought this was adequate, but it now makes sense the original IMG I generate should go into the Map Set Folder before running ToolKit.

Does ExpertGPS do a similar thing that I'm doing in OzyExplorer (pick alignment points, and set them to a GPS-coord, or Waypoint)?

Thanks for the explanation of the POI and levels, I was not aware how this worked.

I intend to 'pre-trace' trails of areas I plan to visit (around the Bay Area where I now live, and anywhere else I travel).  Generally, this is to supplement trails and forest roads already on the various maps I have from this wonderful site, including MyTrails.  I'll GPS-track my hikes, and refine/improve the traced trails, creating more accurate maps.  As I mentioned, I'd be happy to regularly contribute these to MyTrails.

Is there somewhere specific you could point me for info on the custom-display typ file?

From OzyExplorer (or ExpertGPS, or other), is there a way to align an image-map, then transfer this to Google Earth?  GE's alignment is obviously pretty crude.

Also, the program Moagu converts raster-images to vector maps that can be used on older Garmin units, but it requires a Geo-TIFF input.  I originally tried OzyExplorer in hopes of generating this, but then moved on to tracing my own vector maps and haven't finished trying Moagu.  What is the best way of taking a park map, and aligning it into a file that can be used for Moagu?

Thanks so much for all your help.  You have gotten me over the issues that I never would have figured out on my own.  (And I consider myself pretty tech-savy too).  I look forward to returning the favor with detailed maps of the parks and trails I explore for your MyTrails map.

Aaron

jbensman

In ExpertGPS, you load the map.  Then you have to mark 3 points and give it the lat/long.  Then you can trace the trails or whatever.  Then you can save it as a gpx file which you can drag and drop into gpsmapedit.  Or Google Earth will open GPX if you want to refine it better there. 

typ is complicated.  I'll grant you permisison to modify the one I have in My Trails.  Go to:

http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi

browse for the typ file in My Trails, select edit.  Change the Family ID to what you are using on your map, then at the bottom select download typ and save it in your mapset directory.  When you run mapsettoolkit, point it to the typ file.  If your trails show as a thin red line in mapsource and on your GPS, you did it right. 

I've never used mogu.  I think tracing and adding to my trails is much better than anything mogu could do