News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Help - can't see map details on etrex vista hcx

Started by cbr, January 21, 2011, 12:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbr

Hi, 

I downloaded and installed (with mapview) the new England topo map from here on the site. It looks beautiful on the computer - and installs successfully on the gps. But the gps shows very limited details - and no topo!

I selected "most" map detail from the map menu on the device, but no luck. Help!

cbr

maps4gps

Did you zoom in the display to 500' on the GPSr?

cbr

Yep - did that as well.  There seem to be very few details on the gps map - I had expected to see all of the landmarks, roads, details, etc that I see on the PC...

maps4gps

Everything you see in MapSource should be sent to the GPSr.  Try contacting that map author and see what he says.

Boyd

Are you sure you enabled the map on the GPS? To me, it sounds like you're looking at the basemap. Read your manual, there will be a function under Menu > Setup to turn maps on and off. Another possibility is that you didn't select the correct area of the map to send to the GPS.

Connect your gps to your computer and look inside the Garmin folder. Do you see a file named gmapsupp.img? How large is it?

cbr

All,

Thanks for your assistance and suggestions!

After messing with it this morning, I uncovered the solution: removed the memory card from the device, reformatted it on a pc, then re-downloaded it. Perhaps the file had gotten corrupted on the device?

Thanks again.

cbr