GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

LOOKING FOR CHEAP $ GPS UNIT

Started by haff202, January 19, 2011, 07:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haff202

Looking at a low cost GPS like the  Garmin Etrex H.   When GPS came out years ago the cheap models took a long  to get satellites.   Because of this I bought my first unit for $169.99 thinking this upgrade would solve this. The Etrex Legend was my first and only GPS unit.  It also lost signal.  The Etrex legend  is not made any more. I seldom used mine and it just QUIT working all together!   I found no recall on this model.
   The Etrex H is like 100 bucks and claims  HIGH SENSITIVITY?
  I do not need maps, bells and whistles.  Just need to find my way in and out of the woods on foot or ATV.   Its is nice to see your path at the end of the day and distance walked.   
  Will the Etrex  H  loose signal?????????????????

dhudsmith

The H (high-sensitivity) makes a big difference. I have had an eTrex Vista and an e Trex Vista H. Night and Day. Without the H, I lost signal regularly and suffered poor accuracy due to few satellite acquisitions--even in lightly wooded areas. With the H, I can keep a signal in most buildings!

As far as cheap goes, you can probobly fetch an eTrex H off ebay for around $40 dollars if you're patient.

leszekp

You can pick up a Garmin 60Cx at Amazon these days for the same $169.99. Actual high-sensitivity, large color screen, bullet-proof.

haff202

Does anybody else have Garmin Etrex  H     Experience??????????

This is the yellow one with no bells or whistles

dhudsmith

Most the people here have mapping GPSr units. Though I haven't used the eTrex H, I have used the eTrex Vista, the eTrex Vista H, the eTrex Vista HCx, the eTrex Legend HCx, and the eTrex Venture HC. Of all these, only the Vista tended to lose a signal in heavy cover, and the vista has the older GPS signal processor.

That being said, sou should find the reception of the eTrex H satisfactory, as it has the same receiver and signal processor as the other units of the high sensitivity eTrex line.

As a lover of maps, I must point out that you cannot view maps on the eTrex H. You can view a track of where you've been with waypoints, but no maps.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: haff202 on February 05, 2011, 05:40:43 PM
Does anybody else have Garmin Etrex  H     Experience??????????

This is the yellow one with no bells or whistles
I keep one of these due to the serial interface on the unit. This is one of the reasons others don't use this model and opt for the venture HC that hasan USB interface and some mapping memory. As far as use in the field, they work quite well.

haff202

Well, if they all have the same signal processor than I will not get satelites any faster with any other 100 dollar model.  I just rember the first gps unit for 100 bucks would take 10 minutes to get a reading,  only to lose signal later.
    I do not need maps all the time when hunting and fishing.   Its just nice to see how far I walked and where is the truck.   Thanks for all of your experience.   Garmin Extrex H  will help me bag that BUCK!