GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Problem connecting to PC

Started by Bullshooter, January 11, 2011, 04:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullshooter

I have a new 60 CSx.  Using some maps from this site, and Mapsource, I was successful in loading some topos to the unit.  Now I want to download some tracks and waypoints to my PC.  I tried to do so in Mapsource.  I connected the cable from the unit to the USB port, turned it on, and following the owner's manual, I activated USB Mass storage.  I can see the device in My Computer, can even open a folder and see a file in there.  But when I try to recieve data from the device, or even send another map to the device, I get an error message that says I am not properly connected and should check that the unit is plugged in and the card is properly in place. 

I have checked these things and see no problems.  I have also tried to download data without activating USB Mass Storage.  Same result except that I cannot see the device on My Computer.  I tried to download the way I used to using DNR Garmin, same result.

Can anyone suggest what I can try to resolve this issue?

Thank you

maps4gps

Make sure the micro memory card is seated and locked in place properly.

Bullshooter

Did that.  Seems like it would not show my file if it was not seated, but near as I can tell, it is fit perfectly into its space.

By the way, I got an error message that said "Port 1 does not exist" at one point, and an Error 8012 from DNR Garmin.

MichaelJ07

Do you have another SD card to try out?

I seldom put my device (same as yours) into Mass Storage to transfer stuff.  I hook it to a working USB cord and hit the power button.  When it comes on, I open Map Source (sometimes I open Map Source first.....I don't think it matters) then select receive from device.  Can you receive from device?

Might try changing USB cords and locations.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Mike

AKA newbie....sorta
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

CanyonHiker17

I do the same as Mike, never had a problem using MapSource.  I connect my GPS after MS is running, click on the upload icon at the top, it verifies that the device is connected to a USB port, and I get the drop down menu asking if I want to upload Maps/Routes/Tracks.  Click OK and off it goes.

Do you have more than one USB port on the computer?  It might be worth a shot at trying a different one.  I had an older laptop with Windows XP on it and one of the USB ports was real cantankerous when it came to loading pictures from my camera.  I'd plug the cable into a different port and off it went, no problems.  I realize this is just a wild shot but worth a try.

Indrid Cold

If you have the GPS writing tracks to the datacard, you have to put the unit into USB mass mode and the in MapSource go to the File-> Open... and then open the .gpx file on the datacard.

If you have waypoints or tracks saved in the device, you don't use USB Mass mode, but you're going to want to make sure that the GPS is set to GARMIN mode as the protocol.

Someone with a GPSMAP60CSx would be better helping you out from here...

Bullshooter

Thanks for the tips.  Actually, I first tried to do this without going into USB Mass Storage, just turning the unit on.  WHen that failed to work, I thought maybe I had to go into that mode, which also failed.

Things I have tried:

Used several different USB ports on my PC, as well as the ports on a laptop (although on the laptop I did not have Mapsource loaded, tried it with DNR Garmin.

At this point I am unable to send maps to the GPS either, although I am not sure if I would have to delete the one file in the micro SD card to do so, but I get the same error message that I must not be connected, check the plug, etc.

I do have a spare card, and I will try to replace it into the unit and try again this PM after work.

ANy other hints are welcome, and should I try to copy the error messages verbatim on here?

MichaelJ07

Like Indrid Cold suggested.....might want to double check your settings ( I think it's Interface or something like that from the Setup page.)

When you are connected via a cable, what does your unit display at the top?  Do you see that cute little two-pronged plug icon?  On my 60csx, it's the first icon at the top, left end.
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boyd

Since your unit is new, you should probably call Garmin support and let them figure it out. I can't think of anything obvious that you're doing wrong. I would have guessed it had something to do with your computer, but if you get the same behavior from two different machines that would seem unlikely.

But when you call Garmin, don't tell them you were using maps from here or DNR Garmin. They will only support their own products, so I would just try to solve the Mapsource issue. To cover all the bases, I think you should install Mapsource on your other computer and confirm that you still have the same issue.

Bullshooter

Thanks all.  That gives me a couple of things to try tonight.  By the way, yes it says Garmin for the protocol.

CanyonHiker, yes I suspected one of the USB ports since the kids and wife are constantly plugging in ipods or other devices, that is why I tried the laptop.  I will try as Boyd suggested and load MapSource on the laptop, then if that fails, give up and call Garmin.

I will only ask them to help me download waypoints to the computer.

You people are great.  Will post afterwards with results.

BS'er

Bullshooter

Touchdown!

Installed MapSource on the laptop, and without changing the micro sd card, all worked as it is supposed to, and I downloaded waypoints and tracks.  So it must have been the USB ports on my PC?  Is there a way around that, such as uninstall, then reinstall the drivers, or MapSource on the PC?

One more question if I haven't exhausted your patience.  In Mapsource I saved the waypoints as a .gdb file.  I am used to working with shapefiles in ArcGIS.  Are gdb files compatible with ArcGIS or is there a way to convert them?

Thanks again,

BS'er

Boyd

Sure sounds like it was an issue on your PC. Could be hardware or software.

.gdb files are Garmin's proprietary format for user data so I doubt that any third party software can import them. But you can use Mapsource to export your waypoints/tracks/routes to a .gpx file (use the dropdown menu). A lot of programs understant .gpx files. No experience with ArcGIS, but GlobalMapper can certainly import .gpx files. It will probably work - look at your ArcGIS documentation.

Bullshooter

For some reason, though the transfer of waypoints and tracks went OK, the laptop did not show the device under My Computer, and after the first time, did not have a popup box saying my device, then driver was installed at the bottom right of the screen.  It still worked though, but it is troubling.

I could not Connect to DNR Garmin, and got the "Port 1 does not exist" and "Error 8012, device not opened" (as I remember it) when I tried.  Should the 60 CSx be able to connect to DNR Garmin?  I was hoping it would, so I could save as a shapefile.

Maybe I have a bad cable or defective unit, as I am having these problems when they are brand new (Xmas present).

EagleBoy

Quote from: Boyd on January 12, 2011, 04:40:03 PM
Sure sounds like it was an issue on your PC. Could be hardware or software.

.gdb files are Garmin's proprietary format for user data so I doubt that any third party software can import them. But you can use Mapsource to export your waypoints/tracks/routes to a .gpx file (use the dropdown menu). A lot of programs understant .gpx files. No experience with ArcGIS, but GlobalMapper can certainly import .gpx files. It will probably work - look at your ArcGIS documentation.

Luckily I had to do this myself.  :)  Use  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html

How cool is that?  And FREE (as in free beer)

Bullshooter

So far I have yet to successfully connect to the DNR Garmin program with this unit, although that is what I did for years with my Garmin GPS 12.  I keep getting the "Port 1 does not exist" etc.

That is on 2 different computers with a new unit and new cable.  I could try on my son's laptop, but shouldn't the 60 CSx be able to readily connect to DNR Garmin without these problems?