GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map Viewing Software?

Started by searchVT, January 12, 2011, 05:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

searchVT

Hi,  I am new here and wanted to thank everyone for the great maps and support available on this site.  I have a Garmin 60CSx (since Christmas) and so far I love it, but the manual really doesn't give you all the info you need. 

I have loaded onto it the NE Topo (VT and NH only right now) and My Trails, and this seems like an awesome combo.  I would like to view these overlaid on the computer as well as the GPS though, and in my experience and looking through the forum, it seems like MapSource and Baecamp do not have this capability.  Is there a program out there that does?  I image this is a common need for planning trips, etc. I checked out TopoFusion, but was disappointed in the limited trails available.   Ideally, I would like to be able to display the same maps (overlaid) that I use on my GPS and then be able to send routes to the GPS.   Any suggestions are much appreciated!  Thanks again for the great site! :) 

Boyd

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any software to do what you want on your computer - there are several threads on the topic I believe.

searchVT

Thanks for the info.  I had seen a couple threads, but there seemed to be some confusion, some folks thinking you could do it somehow on BaseCamp, etc.  I will keep looking, I would be willing to spend a few bucks for software with this capability.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: searchVT on January 12, 2011, 05:55:44 AM
I have loaded onto it the NE Topo (VT and NH only right now) and My Trails, and this seems like an awesome combo.  I would like to view these overlaid on the computer as well as the GPS though
You will only be able to view these at the same time on your GPS unit. You could contact the authors of the mapsets and request permission to make a composite mapset. Altering someone else's mapset without their consent is a no-no

searchVT

Ingrid, That totally makes sense, and I will not modify anyones maps.

Thanks Jolly for the suggestion about Ozi.  I may be able to find similar maps to view through Topofusion or Google Earth and just save waypoints/tracks/routes.  Not ideal but workable. 

It just seemed like a basic logical thing to do.  Thanks!