GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Topo Map Contour Interval

Started by maps4gps, February 02, 2009, 10:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maps4gps

Does anyone have or know where to get a list of the contour intervals used on each of the USGS 24k topo maps?  I remember a file on one of the USGS servers about 10 years ago, but their 'ask a question' sites are saying such a file/list does not exist.  Thanks.

maps4gps

That site is easier to use than the USGS site, however, with over 54,000 quads it still is not feasable.

-Oz-

It would be useful.  I just check a few spots and go with the smallest (thus why mississippi was 5ft and AZ 40ft.)

I'll email you back this evening.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

10', that is interesting... thats cuz eastern oregon is surprisingly super flat.

In Idaho I actually did most at 40' and a few at 30'
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

For my map of South Jersey I used a 5' contour interval. Around here we have Forked River "Mountain" with a dizzying summit of some 200 feet  ;) (actually the view is pretty impressive from there). The 5' interval reveals a lot about the terrain as opposed to the Garmin maps which have very few contour lines showing. Personally I think you need to fine tune this to the terrain to acheive the best results and make your map more distinctive.

maps4gps

Quote from: Boyd on February 03, 2009, 04:11:13 PM
... I think you need to fine tune this to the terrain to acheive the best results and make your map more distinctive.
I agree.  That is what I am trying to do.   I was using the CI on the 100K, dividing by 4, and converting to feet; but that does not give the usual foot intervals (40,20,10,5,2), so I adjust by visual inspection.  But I keep second guessing; and going more detailed than the 24K the NED/DEM was produced from is probably invalid. 

-Oz-

i wonder how they did the 100k; it has to be some ratio or something along those lines.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

They were 'panneled' from the 24Ks; which were pushed through as provisional versions so the 100Ks could be completed.

maps4gps

Quote from: -Oz- on February 02, 2009, 03:37:49 PM
It would be useful.  I just check a few spots and go with the smallest (thus why mississippi was 5ft and AZ 40ft.)

I'll email you back this evening.

Dan,  If you were going to email me, I have not received anything. Mark

maps4gps